categories - Category Theory list
* Query
@ 2003-05-05 17:46 ` Oswald Wyler
From: Oswald Wyler @ 2003-05-05 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

For every set Z, there is a self-adjoint contravariant functor Q=ENS(--,Z),
with unit/counit h:Id-->Q^op Q given by (h_X)(x)(f)=f(x).  Let Q-alg denote
the category of algebras for the monad induced by this self-adjunction.
If Z is not empty or a singleton, then the comparison functor ENS^op-->Q-alg
is an equivalence by results of M. Sobral.  If Z has two members, then Q-alg
is isomorphic to CaBool, the category of complete atomic Boolean algebras.
What is known about Q-alg if Z has more than two members (beyond the fact
that Q-alg and CaBool are equivalent)?

* re: Query (Q-algebras)
@ 2003-05-07 18:55   ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2003-05-07 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The operations of Q-alg are the functions between the powers of the set Z,
forming the (Lawvere) theory T of Q-algebras, which are product-preserving
functors from T to Set.  (So if Z is 3 then there are 27 = 3^3 "Boolean"
operations in place of the familiar 4 = 2^2.)  With all powers Q-algebras are
equivalent to CABAs, with only finite powers and finite-product-preserving
functors they are equivalent to Boolean algebras.

A natural next question would be, what is obtained when T is taken to be
Set itself, in each of the cases when the functors T->Set are required to
preserve all limits, and just the discrete ones?

Vaughan Pratt

@ 2003-05-08 19:05     ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2003-05-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

>(So if Z is 3 then there are 27 = 3^3 "Boolean" operations in place of
>the familiar 4 = 2^2.)

There should have been a "unary" in there of course.

Another question about these Q-algebras that Oswald Wyler was asking
about: what is a necessary and sufficient condition for a complete basis
for finitary Q-algebras (the theory of Boolean algebras rather than CABAs)
having any given Z?  For Z = 2 one answer (at least for the version of the
problem which only considers nonzeroary operations) is that for each of the
following properties the basis must contain a counterexample to that property.
Necessity follows because each property is preserved under composition;
sufficiency takes more work.

  * selfdual (e.g. xy+yz+zx = (x+y)(y+z)(z+x))
  * monotone
  * affine (expressible as the XOR of its arguments, optionally plus 1)
  * strict (maps the all-zeros input to zero)
  * costrict (maps the all-ones input to one)

(NAND violates all five at once.)  Is there a fixed number of such properties
that works for all finite cardinalities of Z, or must the number of properties
of this kind grow with Z?

Vaughan Pratt

* Re: Query (Q-algebras)
@ 2003-05-09 11:24       ` Ernie Manes
From: Ernie Manes @ 2003-05-09 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi Vaughan,

Regarding these and similar questions, I suggest looking at the following
two gems:

A. L. Foster, Gerneralized "Boolean" theory of universal algebras, Part II.
Identities and subdirect sums of functionally complete algebras, Math. Zeit.
59, 1953, 191-199.

T.-K. Hu, Stone duality for primal algebra theory, Math. Zeit. 110, 1060,
180-198.

Ernie Manes