categories - Category Theory list
* new job & address for me too
@ 2003-10-01 15:51 Paul Taylor
From: Paul Taylor @ 2003-10-01 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

As Tom Leinster has told you about his new job, maybe I should do the same...

A project to study "ABSTRACT STONE DUALITY" has been funded by the
EPSRC (the UK funding agency for the exact sciences), as a result of
which I have a job for three years in the
	Mathematical Foundations Group,
	Department of Computer Science,
	University of MANCHESTER
and so have new email and web addresses
	pt@cs.man.ac.uk
	www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pt
I am very much looking forward to working with my new colleagues
there, including Peter Aczel, David Rydeheard, Andrea Schalk and
Harold Simmons.

Please note that, whilst I shall be making regular visits to Manchester,
for the time being I shall continue to live and work in LONDON (four
hours away by train).  If, therefore, you want to send me anything by
post, please see my web page or ask me by email for my home address.

My email is forwarded from pt@dcs.qmw.ac.uk, pt@dcs.qmul.ac.uk and
pt@di.unito.it, so please do not send it to multiple addresses.

		--------------------------------

Although funding for this project was in fact confirmed two months ago,
I delayed making this announcement because I wanted to say at the same
time that
	all of my WEB PAGES have been thoroughly revised,
(though, needless to say, they haven't yet).

Nevertheless, amongst my PAPERS linked from  www.cs.man.ac.uk/~pt  are

	- the ABSTRACT STONE DUALITY papers and proposal,

	- the HTML version of my book, "PRACTICAL FOUNDATIONS",

	- my older papers on CONTINUOUS, STABLE & SYNTHETIC DOMAIN THEORY

	- also on INTUITIONISTIC SETS AND ORDINALS and CATEGORICAL RECURSION

PLUS  *** NEW!!! ***

	- my teaching materials for the first year computer science
	  course INTRODUCTION TO ALGORITHMS that I taught at QMW.

	- the complete text of Jean-Yves Girard's book PROOFS AND TYPES,
	  as this is now out of print.

	- a translation of Gauss's second proof (1815) of the "fundamental
	  theorem of algebra" (every polynomial has a complex root)

Then of course there are (La)TeX MACROS (still in need of new web pages)

	- my famous DIAGRAMS package (which now supports PDFTEX)

	- PROOF TREES and BOXES

	- QED macros (with new documentation)

	- supermarket bar codes (OK, nothing to do with category theory)

The papers are available in the usual variety of formats, whilst their
web pages have been designed to allow navigation entirely in DVI or PDF
format, using XDVI, XPDF or ACROREAD.  This of course is prone to bugs,
so please tell me if any of the links go astray.

If there are any other (mathematical or programming) materials of mine
that you still consider useful, but which haven't been included or
updated in the new web pages, please ask.

		--------------------------------

Amongst 48 proposals that they considered in that quarter, the EPSRC
Computer Science panel ranked this one equally amongst the top three,
on the basis of four outstanding referees' reports.  My two nominated
referees were GRAHAM WHITE and RICHARD WOOD, to whom I would like
to express my appreciation for their support.  Graham had in fact
also helped me to write the proposal in the first place.

EPSRC rules did not allow me to submit this proposal in my own name,
as I did not have a teaching (or indeed any) job.  (In fact, they
don't even allow people to buy themselves out of their teaching, just
to employ other people to do the research for them, which makes some
sense in experimental sciences, but not really in mathematics.)

The success of this proposal follows a period of 20 months during
which I continued to work on this research programme and attend
conferences funded from my own savings --- and, I would like to
make clear, NOT from social security.

My attendance at SOME of the meetings was paid for by Birmingham,
Dalhousie, St. Mary's and Turin Universities and the EU APPSEM project.

I would not, however, have had the emotional energy to do this without
the constant support of my partner, RICHARD SYMES, who let me pursue
Plan A, even though (being a modern languages graduate) he had no clue
what it was about, or - until he saw the referees' reports - whether
it had any prospects of success.

I would also like to thank MARIANGIOLA DEZANI of the Universita` degli
Studi di Torino for her offer of funding, even though it turned out
that certain Italian bureaucracy didn't allow it. Her support, and
her personal hospitality when I visited Turin, meant a lot to me.

		--------------------------------

Finally, I feel that having paid for myself to attend conferences gives
me the prerogative to make a comment on the way that they are organised:

I deplore the practice of charging those like me (and numerous others,
some of them important members of our community) who have had to pay
for their own research, to subsidise "senior" people as guest speakers,
with longer time-slots at conferences.

These people have research grants and professorial salaries from rich
universities.  I have noticed, however, that it is the guest speakers
who most commonly over-run their allotted time, and sometimes present
material that would not have been accepted from others by the referees.

Paul Taylor

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-10-01 15:51 UTC | newest]