categories - Category Theory list
* message from Joel Berman (fwd)
@ 2003-12-06 17:22 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2003-12-06 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

It is with deep sadness that I announce to you that Professor
Willem Blok, a renowned mathematician and Professor at the University of
Illinois, died tragically in an automobile accident on November 30.  He
was 56.

In addition to his wife Mary Ogilvie, he is survived by his son Philip,
aged 7, mother Yeltge, and brothers Rieuwert, Jan, Cees, and Gerard.

Many of us knew Wim as a fine mathematician and colleague. In addition to
mathematics, he was an accomplished musician and birder. He traveled the
world, lecturing on mathematics, exploring wild and remote areas, and
observing animals and birds in their natural habitats. Above all he was a
wonderful friend and companion. We will miss him dearly.

There will be a memorial service on Monday, December 8, at 5:00 pm at
Unity Temple, Unity Temple, 875 Lake Street, Oak Park, IL 60301.  Unity
Temple is at the corner of Lake and Kenilworth

Mary has asked that in lieu of flowers, contributions be made to the
Philip Blok Education Fund for the education of Philip and mailed to Ms.
Carolyn Eloby, Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer
Science, University of Illinois at Chicago, 851 South Morgan, Chicago IL,
60607.

Our deepest sympathy and condolences go out to Wim's family.  This is a
tragedy that will deeply affect many in our field who knew Wim for so many
years.

Joel Berman

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-12-06 17:22 UTC | newest]