categories - Category Theory list
* Constructive Category Theory
@ 2004-02-13 14:30 Steve Stevenson
From: Steve Stevenson @ 2004-02-13 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories List

Is there a "tradition" in constructive development of category theory?
If so, what is a good reference?
best regards,

steve
--------
D. E. Stevenson, Department of Computer Science
Director, Institute for Modeling and Simulation Applications
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-0974
864.656.5880 http://www.cs.clemson.edu/~steve

* Re: Constructive Category Theory
@ 2004-02-16 15:53 ` Bas Spitters
From: Bas Spitters @ 2004-02-16 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Stevenson

On Friday 13 February 2004 15:30, Steve Stevenson wrote:
> Is there a "tradition" in constructive development of category theory?
> If so, what is a good reference?

I am not aware of a "tradition", but I know two references.

In the book A course in constructive algebra (Mines, Richman, Ruitenburg)
there is a very short outline of category theory.

There is a machine checked formalization inside constructive type theory by
Huet and Saibi. http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/huet98constructive.html

The impression I got from both approaches is that basic constructive category
theory is fairly similar to its its classical counter part, which might
explain the apparent lack of tradition.

I hope this is of any use.

Bas

Department of Computer Science, University of Nijmegen.
P.O.box 9010, NL-6500 GL Nijmegen, The Netherlands.
e-mail: spitters@cs.kun.nl  Phone: +31-24-3652631.
Fax: +31-24-3652525 Room: A5024
http://www.cs.kun.nl/~spitters/

* Re: Constructive Category Theory
@ 2004-02-23 12:35 ` Jeremy Gibbons
From: Jeremy Gibbons @ 2004-02-23 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> Is there a "tradition" in constructive development of category theory?
> If so, what is a good reference?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there's a
very nice paper, "Category theory as coherently constructive
lattice theory", by Roland Backhouse et al:

  http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~rcb/papers/abstract.html#CatTheory

Jeremy

--
Jeremy.Gibbons@comlab.ox.ac.uk
  Oxford University Computing Laboratory,    TEL: +44 1865 283508