categories - Category Theory list
* Small is beautiful
@ 2010-01-01 14:48 Robert Pare
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Robert Pare @ 2010-01-01 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I would like to add a few thoughts to the "evil" discussion.

My 30+ years involvement with indexed categories have led me
to the following understanding. There are two kinds of categories,
small and large (surprise!). But the difference is not mainly one
of size. Rather it's how well we can pin down the objects. The
distinction between sets and classes is often thought of in terms
of size but Russell's problem with the set of all sets was not one of
size but rather of the nature of sets. Once you think you have the set
of all sets, you can construct another set which you had missed.
I.e. the notion is changing, slippery. There are set theories where
you can have a subclass of a set which is not a set (c.f. Vopenka, e.g.)
Smallness is more a question of representability: a functor may fail to
be representable because it's too big (no solution set) or, more often,
because it's badly behaved (doesn't preserve products, say). Subfunctors
of representables are not usually representable.

In our work on indexed categories, Schumacher and I had tried to treat
this question by considering categories equipped with a groupoid of
isomorphisms, which we called *canonical*, and then consider functors
defined up to canonical isomorphism. In small categories only identities
were canonical whereas in large categories, all isomorphisms were canonical.
Our ideas were a bit naive and not well developed and earned us some ridicule,
so we quietly stopped talking about it. Recently, Makkai developed
an extensive theory of functors defined up to isomorphisms, FOLDS, but
did not consider the possibility of specifying which isomorphisms ahead
of time, so small categories were not included.

When I used to teach category theory, before Dalhousie made me chuck my
chalk chuck, I would tell students there were two kinds of categories in
practice. Large ones which are categories of structures, corresponding to
various branches of mathematics we wished to study. These categories
supported various universal constructions, all defined up to isomorphism.
Two large categories are considered to be the same if they are equivalent.
It was considered impolite to ask if two objects were equal. Then
there are the small categories which are used to study the large ones.
These are syntactic in nature. For these, one can't expect the kinds of
universal constructions that large categories have, but now it's okay,
even necessary, to consider equality between objects. I went on to say
that there were then four kinds of functors. Functors between large categories
were to be thought of as constructions of one structure from another, e.g.
the group ring. Functors between small categories were interpretations of
one theory in another or reindexing or rearranging. Functors from small
to large categories were models or diagrams in the large one. These kinds
of functors are perhaps the most important of the four, although this may
be debatable. The fourth kind, from large to small are rarer. They can
be thought of as gradings or partitions of the large category.

Well, after these ramblings, perhaps my message is lost. So here it is:
Small categories -> equality of objects okay
Large categories -> equality of objects not okay
Small is beautiful, not evil.

Bob

* Re: small2
@ 2010-01-10 20:08 Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2010-01-10 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This is in reply to a posting by Bob Pare.

Dear Bob:
You wrote:
“As usual it helps put things in relief to generalize them. Consider category theory in a world based on a topos S. A small category is a category object in S. A large category like S or Group(S) is an indexed category, given by a pseudo-functor S^op -> Cat, or a fibration over S if you prefer. A small category C gives a large one by homming. But something is lost in the process.”
That is precisely how I always thought of small versus large relative to a topos S (the universe of discourse). Further, a large category A (fibered over S) "is" small if and only if the corresponding pseudo-functor A: S^op--> Cat is representable. As you say, a small category C (internal to the topos S) may always be considered as a large one (via its externalization [C]: S^op ->Cat).
These considerations came up in my and our joint work on stacks (Cahiers, 1979), and more recently in my work with Claudio Hermida on 2-stacks. The notions of a stack and of a 2-stack are taken  to be intrinsic to a topos S, that is, relative to the topology of its (regular) epimorphisms, as introduced by Lawvere 1974.
Dimension 1. A small category C (internal to a topos S) always has a stack completion when regarded as a large category via its externalization [C]. The stack completion of C is given by yon: [C] -> [C]*= LocRep(S^(C^op)), a weak equivalence functor. Applied to a groupoid G, this gives the classification theorem for G-torsors (Diaconescu 1975). An axiom of stack completions (ASC) in its rough form says that S satisfies it if for ever small category C in S, the fibration LocRep(S^{C^op}) is representable by a category C* so that [C]* and [C*] are equivalent as fibrations. As shown by Joyal and Tierney (1991) by means of Quillen model structures, but also by a general argument involving the existence of a set of generators, (Duskin 1980), Grothendieck toposes satisfy (ASC).
Dimension 2. The 2-dimensional analogue of the above set-up was discussed in my lecture at CT 2008 (joint work with Claudio Hermida). Our main result is that, for a topos S satisfying (ASC), any 2-category 1-stack C in S, regarded as a 2-fibration, has a 2-stack completion, to wit yon: [C] -> [C]*=LocRep(Stack^(C^op)), a weak 2-equivalence 2-functor. Applied to a 2-gerbe G and suitably interpreted, this gives a classification theorem for G-2-torsors. The validity of an appropriately formulated (ASC)^2 for a Grothendieck topos S (see slides for my lecture at CT 2008) is true by a general argument involving the existence of a set of generators. What is still missing, however, is a construction of a small 2-category 1-stack C*representing the 2-fibration [C]*= LocRep(Stack^(C^op)) in the case of a Grothendieck topos S. The Quillen model structure on 2-Cat given by Lack 2002 is not suitable for this purpose.

Dimension n. Analogue results in higher dimensions are less tractable but a pattern emerges from the passage from dimension 1 to dimension 2.

Remark (concerning a previous posting of yours): Although using the S-indexed versions of fibrations over S is useful, just as presentations of groups are useful, the entire discussion of stacks can be carried out at the level of fibrations (ditto 2-fibrations). I fail to understand what is all the fuss about the use of S-indexed categories if taken in that spirit. Certainly not deserving ridicule!

 You also wrote:
“Well this is my second posting in a week bringing my life-time total to three! Seems a good place to stop.”

 To me, that is a poor reason to give. This forum could certainly profit from your interventions, but I understand your qualms, as I myself quite often abstain from an urge to intervene.

 Happy New Year to you and everyone, Marta

Marta Bunge
Professor Emerita
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill UniversityBurnside Hall, Office 1005
805 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2K6
Office: (514) 398-3810/3800
Home: (514) 935-3618