categories - Category Theory list
From: selinger@mathstat.dal.ca (Peter Selinger)
To: baez@math.ucr.edu
Cc: categories@mta.ca (categories)
Subject: Re: String diagrams, adjunction and autonomous categories.
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:05:21 -0300 (ADT)	[thread overview]

I agree that string diagrams for closed monoidal categories are quite
a bit subtler than those for autonomous categories.

Of course, because of the forgetful functor from autonomous categories
to closed monoidal categories, there's a unique functor from the free
closed monoidal category (over some generators) to the free autonomous
category (over the same generators), i.e., string diagrams. So one can
say, without doing any technical work, that morphisms of the free
closed monoidal category are "certain" string diagrams, possibly with
additional structure.

The technical questions then are: which diagrams are "certain" ones
(i.e., what's the image of this functor), and what, if anything, is
the additional structure? One obvious piece of extra structure is that
there are two binary connectives instead of one, namely, tensor and
'-o'. In the Rosetta Stone paper (p.30), Baez and Stay use "clasps" to
bind two strings together, to indicate an object A -o B. I am not sure
how this will work for nested operations, such as (((A tensor B) -o C)
tensor D) -o ((E -o F) tensor G). As John has already pointed out, the
paper does not give details or theorems.

On the other hand, the question of such string diagrams has been very
extensively studied by logicians under the name "proof nets for linear
logic". It turns out that one usually needs a condition logicians call
a "correctness criterion" (originally invented by Girard) to identify
the string diagrams that actually correspond to legal morphisms.
Alternatively, it is possible to just draw a box around every
operation (as done by Baez and Stay), and say that the legal diagrams
are those built up using the operations of closed monoidal categories.
But that is really just a graphical way of displaying the original
term, together with its forgetful image in string diagrams.

Most work on proof nets is for classical linear logic (corresponding
to *-autonomous categories). Looking for the case of closed monoidal
categories only, we need to look for intuitionistic linear logic.  By
googling "proof nets for intuitionistic linear logic", I found this
2008 paper by Lamarche (based on a 1994 technical report), which seems
to contain the answer, with theorems:

  http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/34/73/36/PDF/prfnet1.pdf

That paper actually contains a bit more than just the monoidal closed
case; it also shows how to extend the diagrams to cartesian product
(in addition to tensor), and it adds the exponential operator "!" of
linear logic, in the presence of which one can then have diagrams for
*cartesian* closed categories as well. I think an even earlier version
of such string diagrams may already appear in Regnier's 1992 thesis
(http://iml.univ-mrs.fr/~regnier/articles/these.ps.gz).

So I guess the point is that one can save some time by exploiting what
logicians have already done, using the connections between logic,
category theory, and string diagrams, rather than re-inventing the
wheel. Which is also precisely the point of the Baez/Stay "Rosetta
Stone" paper.

-- Peter