categories - Category Theory list
* regular monos not closed under composition
@ 2006-05-16 20:20 Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2006-05-16 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I know that regular monos needn't be closed under composition. One example
being the category of monoids. Are there other *natural* examples, e.g. of
topological kind?

Thomas Streicher

* Re: regular monos not closed under composition
@ 2006-05-17  9:47 Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2006-05-17  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Thomas Streicher wrote:

> I know that regular monos needn't be closed under composition. One example
> being the category of monoids. Are there other *natural* examples, e.g. of
> topological kind?
>
> Thomas Streicher

Depends what you mean by topological. In the category of locales, regular
epis aren't closed under composition (equivalently, regular monos aren't
closed under composition in frames): this was proved by Till Plewe, and
is in his paper `Quotient maps of locales' in Appl. Cat. Struct. 8 (2000),
17--44. Another `natural' example (which I regularly use when teaching
category theory to graduate students) is regular epis in Cat.

Peter Johnstone