categories - Category Theory list
From: "Marta Bunge" <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: RE: Construction of a real closure
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 09:30:25 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Michael,

It is related to what I did, but in a different way. BTW, I remembered
something incorrectly. In my
J. Alg '81 paper, I actually use (not prove) Joyal's result on the existence
of the real closure of an ordered field ("Cloture algebrique reelle d'un
corps ordonne", Lecture, Universite de Montreal, January 1979). The proof is
indeed classical, so this holds (at least) in any topos which is a BVMST
(Boolean-valued-model of Set Theory), not in every topos. I show that for
certain toposes E, the result is till true. I was mostly interested in
toposes E which arise in sheaf represenation theorems for algebraic
structures (such as von Neuman regular (differential) rings).

First, I prove a general theorem for quotients T-->T* of coherent theories
satisfying (what I call) the "Sturm property" in a topos E, to the effect
that prime model extensions of Mod_{E}(T) in Mod_{E}(T*) exist and are
preserved by continuous functors.

For instance, I show that the real closure exists in toposes E = Sh_fc(B)
(sheaves for finite covers in a Boolean algebra B). The example of T--->T*
with T = {ordered fields} and T* = {real closed fields} is shown to have the
Sturm property in E = Sh_{fc}(B)  by resorting to a "mid-way-house method",
first via the Gleason cover of E, and then taking its topos of double
negation sheaves, which is a BVMST.
By transfer, I obtain that every commutative regular f-ring (in Sets) has an
(invariant, and an atomless) real closure.

Another example is that of the differential closure of a differential field
and a transfer to differential Von Neuman regular rings of non-zero
characteristic.

The question of characterizing toposes E for which a certain quotient T-->T*
of coherent theories has the "Sturm property" is open. As I said, I was only
interested in sheaf representations by global sections, so I only looked at
such toposes.

Best,
Marta