categories - Category Theory list
* RE: Why binary products are ordered
@ 2001-01-30 16:43 S.J.Vickers
       [not found] ` <20010131135719.A5824@kamiak.eecs.wsu.edu>
From: S.J.Vickers @ 2001-01-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> One might say that the ordering of binary products, with a first
projection
> and a second projection, is spurious but inevitable.
>
> The two components of a binary product must be distinguished, as Colin
> McLarty explained, but they must be allowed to be isomorphic.  The usual
> way we handle a situation like this in mathematics is to index them, in
> this case by a two-element set.  ...

Two points.

First, even in computer programming, one can lose the need for an ordering
by using what are often called "record types", so that

  <your age in years=99, your height in inches=70>

denotes the same record as

   <your height in inches=70, your age in years=99>

I don't think there's anything mysterious about this. A pair of sets can be
described as a function f: X -> 2, and we can quite happily replace 2 by any
isomorphic set (but we don't have to choose the isomorphism) such as

   M = {"your height in inches", "your age in years"}

The product of f: X -> M is then a universal solution to the problem of
finding

   g: YxM -> X  over M

and this is equivalent to the usual characterization once you have chosen
the isomorphism between M and 2.

A second, and deeper, point is that constructively there are unorderable
2-element sets, so there is a kind of binary product in which the ordering
first vs. second projection is impossible. It uses the same "record type"
construction.

An example in sheaves over the circle O is the twisted double cover M (edge
of a Mobius band). It is finite decidable set with cardinality 2. It is
isomorphic to 2 (i.e. 2xO) locally but not globally. It has no global
elements and no global total ordering. If you have a sheaf X with a map f: X
-> M, then locally it falls into two parts whose product you can take. It
can be expressed as

  Pi f = {(i,x,j,y) in MxXxX | f(x) = i and f(y) = j and j = s(i)} / ~

where s: M -> M swaps the two elements and ~ is the equivalence relation
generated by (i,x,j,y) ~ (j,y,i,x).

Globally, Pi f is the equalizer of two maps from X^M to M^M, namely f^M and
the constant identity map: so set theoretically it is the set of sections,

   {g: M -> X | g;f = Id_M}

The universal property is that for any YxM -> X over M you get a unique
corresponding Y -> Pi f.

The second description with X^M probably looks more natural to a topos
theorist, but the first one has the advantage of being geometric.

Steve.

* Why binary products are ordered
@ 2001-01-29 18:18 Charles Wells
From: Charles Wells @ 2001-01-29 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

One might say that the ordering of binary products, with a first projection
and a second projection, is spurious but inevitable.

The two components of a binary product must be distinguished, as Colin
McLarty explained, but they must be allowed to be isomorphic.  The usual
way we handle a situation like this in mathematics is to index them, in
this case by a two-element set.  One could use {red,blue}.  As far as I
know, in Western culture, this set has no canonical ordering, but
nevertheless one knows that there is a redth component and a blueth
component and they might or might not be different objects.

However, in practice the index set is {0,1}, {1,2} or {x,y} (the latter in
analytic geometry).  All of these are canonically totally ordered in our
culture, so inevitably binary products do have an order in practice.

Charles Wells, 105 South Cedar St., Oberlin, Ohio 44074, USA.
email: charles@freude.com.
home phone: 440 774 1926.
professional website: http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/math/wells/home.html
personal website: http://www.oberlin.net/~cwells/index.html