categories - Category Theory list
* Early intimations of categories
@ 2024-06-11 22:21 Michael Barr, Prof.
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Barr, Prof. @ 2024-06-11 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I have nothing to add to the Ulam question, but I did want to give some speculations on early ideas.  The first is Emmy Noether and use of groups instead of Betti numbers and torsion numbers.  A group is, after all, a category and the use of groups is the sort of abstraction that categories are.  Although Vietoris was quoted as saying that of course they knew there were groups, but it wasn’t the style to say so.  But the homology groups of a space (as well as the homotopy groups) are certainly early examples of functors.  Although I am not sure when the homomorphism induced by a continuous map was known.

But the most interesting example is Garrett Birkhoff’s lattice theory.  First let me mention that in those early days of the XXth century, homomorphisms (between groups, rings,…) were always understood to be surjective.  It was only in the 50s that people started talking about homomorphisms into, which were explicitly allowed not to be onto.  This being the case, when Birkhoff looked at groups he saw the lattice of subgroups and the lattice of quotient groups (essentially the lattice of normal subgroups) and at rings, he saw the lattice of subrings and the lattice of ideals.  I have often wondered whether, had arbitrary homomorphisms been in common use, he would have discovered category theory rather than lattice theory.

Michael

You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message.

View group files<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=files&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Leave group<https://outlook.office365.com/owa/categories@mq.edu.au/groupsubscription.ashx?source=EscalatedMessage&action=leave&GuestId=4eb9b40c-9b3a-48a5-9781-836e5a171e8b>   |   Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups<https://aka.ms/o365g>

* Re: Early intimations of categories
@ 2024-06-12 10:03 ` Johannes Huebschmann
From: Johannes Huebschmann @ 2024-06-12 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof.; +Cc: categories

Dear All

In [Baer 1934], "homomorph" (homomorphic)
does not necessarily mean homomorphic onto.
For that situation  Baer uses the terminology
"homomorph auf".

Johannes

________________________________

@ 2024-06-12 13:09 ` Posina Venkata Rayudu
From: Posina Venkata Rayudu @ 2024-06-12 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Prof., Andree Ehresmann, R Brown, Timothy Porter; +Cc: categories

Dear Professor Barr,

I just thought of sharing with you the discussions we had regarding
the delayed discovery of category theory:

https://conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/from-function-to-category-prof-lawvere/<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/zdoYCZY146skNwYzhxuOdv?domain=conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com>

https://conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/charles-ehresmann-introduction-of-categories/<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/hV9uC1WLjwsPY0X8f1gb8f?domain=conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com>

https://conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/from-function-to-category-prof-barr/<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/9kRfC2xMRkUBw4Q7UX-jp6?domain=conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com>

https://conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/from-function-to-category-prof-brown/<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/JDtlC3QNl1SyQPvZsE_ySx?domain=conceptualmathematics.wordpress.com>

Thanking you,
Yours truly,