categories - Category Theory list
From: Dusko Pavlovic <dusko@kestrel.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Getting rid of cardinality as an issue
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:53:13 -0700	[thread overview]

i think the question of foundations needs to be considered together with
the meta-question: why working mathematicians don't care for foundations?

a trivial part of the answer is that it's a matter of taste: some people
organize their diet following the pyramid of "so much fruit so much
vegetables so much meat", other people smoke and drink coffee and eat
chocolate.

the less trivial part of the answer is that the world of working
mathematics is not built on top of a static foundation. the questions
and the meta-questions are asked together. categories are foundations of
categories.

russell's paradox and hilbert's idea that math should have a static
foundation are old. a lot has happened. sets are not so rigid any more.
starting from models of untyped lambda calculus, people built all kinds
of reflective universes, even containing small complete categories. the
category of small categories can probably be a small 2-category in such
a universe.

the set of all sets can hardly be a set because of the variance, but i
think that the set of all sets of sets can be a set in some models.

my 2p,
-- dusko