categories - Category Theory list
From: Marino Miculan <miculan@dimi.uniud.it>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: What is needed for an online journal
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:46:07 +0100	[thread overview]

On 31/dic/06, at 21:30, John Baez wrote:

>> What about having an editorial board, which would look at papers
>> on the
>> arxiv, say, have them reviewed and revised, and then put them back
>> on the
>> arxiv in final form, and listed elsewhere as having been through that
>> process and "blessed" so to speak by the editorial board?
>
> This is what many journals do, after someone submits the paper.
>
> For example, with Advances in Theoretical and Mathematical Physics,
> you submit a paper merely by sending them its arXiv number; when
> it's accepted you prepare a version in their preferred format and this
> gets put on the arXiv.

Another, and quite successful, example is the Journal of High Energy
Physics (http://jhep.sissa.it), an on-line journal which I have
worked for at its beginnings, many years ago (back in 1997).
Papers can be submitted by indicating an arXiv number, or by
uploading a (PDF, LaTeX...) file.
The editorial procedure is fully automatized, in the sense that it is
fully operated on the web site, with minimal human intervention. This
allows to reduce maintenance costs, and to speed up the publishing
process of one magnitude (the average time from submission to
publishing is something less than 2 months, which is mostly due to
the referees). Once, accepted papers were freely available online
from JHEP site; nowadays, these are available online through IOP's
Electronic Journals service; but I guess that papers are still
available for free (at least for some time), or at a reasonable price.

Ten years ago, JHEP was started by an academic consortium as a
spontaneous answer to the (already!) outrageously increasing prices
of the main journals in the HEP field, especially Nuclear Physics B
(which is run by Elsevier, and costs more than 15200 euros/year... so
Vico was right, after all.) Nowadays, JHEP has become one of the
major journals in the field: for instance, Ed Witten, Ashoke Sen and
Cumrun Vafa regularly publish papers on JHEP.
For what it is worth, in 2005 the JHEP Impact Factor was 5.944, that
of Nuclear Physics B was 5.522.  So on-line journals can compete with
"standard" journals also on this point.

As far as the "real existence" of online papers, especially for grant
applications, career advancements, etc: if I remember correctly, from
a formal point of view the only important thing is that to have an
ISSN number - which means that the journal is officially recognized
as a periodical publication. The existence of a "printed version" to
store and forget in dusty (and increasingly deserted) libraries is
not needed.

-m

--
Marino Miculan - http://www.dimi.uniud.it/miculan/
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine