categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  non-Hausdoff topology
@ 2010-07-08  3:19 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2010-07-08  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

On 7/7/2010 10:28 AM, Michael Barr wrote:
> Not just in CS, but also central to algebraic geometry: the Zariski
> topology is almost never hausdorff. But when topology is taught to
> undergraduates, it is usually for the purposes of analysis and I don't
> know if we could this point across.

My understanding of Paul's complaint was with the passage not so much
from T2 to T0 but from T1 to T0, needed for the Scott topology.  The
Zariski topology is always T1.

Vaughan Pratt

* non-Hausdoff topology
@ 2010-07-07  8:31 Paul Taylor
                   ` (6 more replies)
From: Paul Taylor @ 2010-07-07  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Non-Hausdorff topologies, in particular the Scott topology, have been
one of the most important features of mathematics applied to computer
science over the past forty years.

Surely it is now time for this material to be included in the standard
undergraduate curriculum for general topology in pure mathematics
degree programmes.

I wonder whether "categories" reader have some comments on their
experience of trying to do this?   I am thinking of the possible
reactions from both students and colleagues.

Paul Taylor