categories - Category Theory list
* Re: groupoids versus homotopy 1-types
@ 2007-01-05 17:06 Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2007-01-05 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I don't have a specific reference in 2-category language but the following
should be relevant:

The notion of a homotopy theory for groupoids was set up in my 1968 topology
book now revised and republished as Topology and Groupoids. In particular
\pi_1: spaces \to groupoids preserves homotopies. Fibrations were introduced
in an exercise, and developed in later editions. See also Philip Higgins'
Categories and Groupoids, (1971) now available as a TAC reprint. The nerve
and classifying space of a groupoid are in Graeme Segal's `Classifying
spaces and spectral sequences' (IHES) utilising Grothendieck's nerve of a
category. These preserve homotopy. The fact that for a CW-complex X, [X,BG]
\cong [\pi_1 X, G] is also well known: P.Olum Ann Math 1958?

There is also relevant material in Gabriel-Zisman's book, but I do not have
it with me.

People should also look at 2 papers on groupoids by P A Smith in the Annals,
1951.

Hope that helps.

Ronnie
www.bangor.ac.uk/r.brown