categories - Category Theory list
* Small semirings
@ 2007-01-03 22:09 Andrej Bauer
From: Andrej Bauer @ 2007-01-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear categorists,

I have no idea where to ask the following algebra question. Hoping that
some of you are algebraists, I am asking it here.

I am looking for examples of small (finite and with few elements, say up
to 8) commutative semirings with unit, by which I mean an algebraic
structure which has +, *, 0 and 1, both operations are commutative and *
distributes over +. The initial such structure are the natural numbers.

Here are the examples I know:

1) Modular arithmetic, i.e., (Z_n, +, *, 0, 1)

2) Distributive lattices with 0 and 1.

3) "Cut-off" semiring, in which we compute like with natural numbers,
but if a value exceeds a given constant N, then we cut it off at N. For
example, if N = 7 then we would have 3 + 3 = 6, 3 + 6 = 7, 4 * 4 = 7,
etc. Do such semirings have a name?

There must be a census of small commutative rings, or even semirings.
Does anyone know?

Andrej

* Re: Small semirings
@ 2007-01-05  0:25 Josh Nichols-Barrer
From: Josh Nichols-Barrer @ 2007-01-05  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi Andrej,

Here are some odds and ends:

You can build a semiring from any semiring R with no nonzero additive
inverses by attaching an element at infinity (\infty+x = \infty for all x
and and \infty * x = \infty for nonzero x).  Iterating this, you can have
a hierarchy of elements at infinity, I suppose.  For example, take your
cutoff semiring and add an element at infinity; this gives some new
specimens.

More generally, you can use finitely generated semirings (over a given
finite semiring, for example).  The above construction would be the
quotient of R[x] where every polynomial of degree greater than 0 is
identified with x.

For another example, any finite linearly ordered commutative monoid is
naturally a semiring, where the addition is max and the multiplication is
given by the monoid law.  For example, "cutoff monoids" of N.  This
example is somehow lifted from tropical geometry, which is (speculatively)
relative algebraic geometry over the semiring R\cup {-\infty}, where
R here denotes the reals, the addition law is max and the multiplication
is addition in R.

Maybe a easier question is what are the "minimal" finite semirings, for
some appropriate notion of minimal.  I'm thinking something analogous to
the notion of field for rings, although even to classify the finite fields
takes a bit of clever work...

Here is a different approach to the question (after a conversation with K.
Kedlaya):

Given a semiring R, you can "mod out by elements with additive inverses"
by identifying a and b whenever there are x and y with a+x=b and b+y=a.
This produces a new semiring R' where no element other than 0 has an
additive inverse; the operation kills all rings and fixes distributive
lattices and cutoff semirings.  The resulting semiring has a natural
ordering, namely a <= b iff there is an x with a+x = b (so that 0 is the
least element).  I don't know what to call these, maybe ordered semirings?

As a next step, you can take an ordered semiring R as above and identify 1
with 2 to produce something even simpler.  We still have a partial
ordering, of course, and moreover addition is join: if b <= a and c <= a,
then b+c <= a+a = a.  This does nothing to distributive lattices or the
ordered commutative monoids above, but it turns cutoff semirings into the
semiring with elements {0,1} and 1+1=1.  You might call these "tropical
semirings."

Finally, you might want to transform the multiplication in a tropical
semiring R into meet.  I guess this would be done by identifying
everything greater than or equal to 1 with 1, and then identifying x^2
with x for each x.

Summarizing, I guess, the forgetful functors

BddDistLat --> TropSemiRing --> OrdSemiring --> Semiring

all seem to have left adjoints.  Maybe another way to look into semirings
would be to study the fibres of the left adjoints?  The adjunction between
bounded distributive lattices and tropical semirings already looks
interesting...

Another thing that would be cool to see would be a duality theory for
tropical semirings, maybe like the duality theory for bounded distributive
lattices, as a way to get a handle on tropical semirings at least...  Of
course, what I'd really like to see is a geometric picture of Spec R for
any semiring R, but that might take a little more work...

Best,
Josh

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007, Andrej Bauer wrote:

> Dear categorists,
>
> I have no idea where to ask the following algebra question. Hoping that
> some of you are algebraists, I am asking it here.
>
> I am looking for examples of small (finite and with few elements, say up
> to 8) commutative semirings with unit, by which I mean an algebraic
> structure which has +, *, 0 and 1, both operations are commutative and *
> distributes over +. The initial such structure are the natural numbers.
>
> Here are the examples I know:
>
> 1) Modular arithmetic, i.e., (Z_n, +, *, 0, 1)
>
> 2) Distributive lattices with 0 and 1.
>
> 3) "Cut-off" semiring, in which we compute like with natural numbers,
> but if a value exceeds a given constant N, then we cut it off at N. For
> example, if N = 7 then we would have 3 + 3 = 6, 3 + 6 = 7, 4 * 4 = 7,
> etc. Do such semirings have a name?
>
> There must be a census of small commutative rings, or even semirings.
> Does anyone know?
>
> Andrej

* Small semirings
@ 2007-01-04 21:26 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2007-01-04 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Example (1) of section 3.2 of "Temporal Structures", MSCS 1:2 179-213
(1991), also at http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/man.pdf, enumerates the
commutative semirings both of whose operations are idempotent (thus
defining two partial orders), with the additive order furthermore being
linear.  We showed there are 2^{n-2} of these having n elements, and
indicated where the first three (those with n = 2 or 3) have previously
appeared in the literature.

Interestingly the linearity of the additive order implies that of the
multiplicative order.  Once this has been shown it is an easy step to
the following pleasant representation.

Start with an n-element chain, n>1, viewed as a string of n beads with 0
at the bottom.  Select any nonzero element as the (multiplicative) unit,
and then determine the multiplication by allowing the portions of the
string on either side of the unit to dangle down, with the beads
interleaving arbitrarily subject to 0 remaining below the rest.  One can
then readily show that there are 2^{n-2} choices for the unit and
multiplication.

For each n exactly one of these is a Heyting algebra (example 2 of
Andrej's list), namely the one for which the additive top was selected
as the unit.  (So for n = 2 or 3 only the one non-Heyting semiring will
be at all unfamiliar.)  I would be interested to hear of appearances in
the literature of any of the three non-Heyting such with four elements.

As a class exercise around 1989 I assigned the enumeration problem for
various weakenings of these conditions, which I can't locate right now
though Ken Ross, kar at cs columbia edu, might conceivably have kept a
record.

Vaughan Pratt

Andrej Bauer wrote:
> Dear categorists,
>
> I have no idea where to ask the following algebra question. Hoping that
> some of you are algebraists, I am asking it here.
>
> I am looking for examples of small (finite and with few elements, say up
> to 8) commutative semirings with unit, by which I mean an algebraic
> structure which has +, *, 0 and 1, both operations are commutative and *
> distributes over +. The initial such structure are the natural numbers.
>
> Here are the examples I know:
>
> 1) Modular arithmetic, i.e., (Z_n, +, *, 0, 1)
>
> 2) Distributive lattices with 0 and 1.
>
> 3) "Cut-off" semiring, in which we compute like with natural numbers,
> but if a value exceeds a given constant N, then we cut it off at N. For
> example, if N = 7 then we would have 3 + 3 = 6, 3 + 6 = 7, 4 * 4 = 7,
> etc. Do such semirings have a name?
>
> There must be a census of small commutative rings, or even semirings.
> Does anyone know?
>
> Andrej

* re: Small semirings
@ 2007-01-04 16:52 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2007-01-04 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

This site lists a lot of algebraic structures and often gives
information on finite examples:

     http://math.chapman.edu/cgi-bin/structures

-----
Thus, for commutative rings (with 1) you have:

http://math.chapman.edu/structuresold/files/
Commutative_rings_with_identity.pdf

where you can find that there are:

- 1 structure with 1 element (or 2, 3, 5, 6 elements)
- 4 structures with 4 elements.

-----
The case of semirings is not (yet?) much developed: just a few
results and trivial examples.
See:

http://math.chapman.edu/structuresold/files/
Semirings_with_identity_and_zero.pdf
http://math.chapman.edu/structuresold/files/Semirings_with_zero.pdf

-------
Commutative semirings are not in the list, I think.

Marco Grandis