A heart wrenching loss. Phil had such a kind spirit. When I was a hapless young D.Phil. student at my first ever LICS conference, he took me under his wing and was very generous with his time. One nugget of wisdom he taught me years later was was his concept of LPU or “Least Publishable Unit”: he knew exactly what I needed to hear at the time as I had hit a wall with in an excessively bloated draft. An incredible mentor to so many. I shall really miss him. On Dec 18, 2023, at 8:10 PM, Richard Blute wrote: It is with great sadness that we convey the news to the category theory community that our good friend and colleague Phil Scott passed away this morning (18th December, 2023) after a long battle with cancer. Phil’s many contributions to category theory are well known. Phil and Jim Lambek essentially invented the field of categorical proof theory with a series of papers that culminated in the book “Introduction To Higher-Order Categorical Logic”, which is still the standard text on the subject. Phil’s research went well beyond these initial works: he made major contributions to theoretical computer science, linear logic, inverse semigroup theory and recursion theory. Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul. Rick Blute Robin Cockett Simon Henry You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups