categories - Category Theory list
From: Fred E.J. Linton <fejlinton@usa.net>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: quantum logic
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:07:05 -0400	[thread overview]

I'll  address two of these questions.  The first:

> The question is, what is the forgetful functor from Ban to Set?
> Do we take the set of all vectors? or do we take the closed unit ball?
> The former corresponds to allowing all bounded linear maps as morphisms,
> while the latter corresponds to requiring norm-reducing linear maps.

Actually, when the "underlying-set functor" for Banach spaces
is taken to be the unit disk functor, and the morphisms are
taken as the norm-decreasing maps, the situation is really great,
because the norm-decreasing maps DO constitute the unit disk
of the Banach space of bounded linear transformations, as you know.
And products and coproducts are as Banach spacists like to see them
(the familiar L-infinity style "full direct product" and and L-1
style "weak direct product", respectively).

When the underlying-set functor is taken to be ALL the vectors
of the Banach space, on the other hand, products and coproducts
misbehave quite badly.

As for the question,

> After all, an invertible bounded linear map is enough to deduce
> that Hilbert spaces are isomorphic (even in the sense of isometric),
> so why not count those maps as isomorphisms themselves?

I'd answer by saying that unless the invertible bounded linear map
in the question IS an isometry I'd never dare call it one.

-- Fred (usually <FLinton@Wesleyan.edu>)