categories - Category Theory list
From: majordomo@mlist.mta.ca
To: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>,
	"categories@mta.ca"	<categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Grothendieck toposes
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 17:50:08 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Marta,

Mathematics and science are very often regarded
as the pure product of human rationality.
I can agree with the importance of rationality, except that humanity
is as much the product of nature as it is of rational choices.
You will agree that the natural world is only partially explained by science.
The rest is a big mystery. Not that the mystery is absolutly impenetrable.
I feel compelled to recognize the presence of mysteries even
in mathematics. The history of complex numbers, from the
discovery by Cardano to their applications in quantum physics is bewildering.
They belong to this universe as much as the electron and the human mind.
The fact that we human can understand  complex numbers may
have a metaphysical meaning.
What is it?

Best,
André