categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: Eduardo Julio Dubuc <edubuc@dm.uba.ar>,
	"categories@mta.ca"	<categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Grothendieck toposes
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 19:36:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear All,

The distance between the notion of elementary "topos"
and the notion of space is particularly striking with Hyland's effective "topos".
The effective "topos" is inspired by constructive set theory (Kleene recursive realizability)
and it is among the important constructions in the theory of elementary "toposes".
But it has no effect on topology! (ask your favorite topologist).
We should probably stop saying that the theory of elementary "topos" (generalised) is topology!
It appears to be more a branch of higher order logic formulated in the language of category theory.
We can hope that the theory of  elementary "toposes" will eventually find
applications to topology (something recognised by topologist). The fact that a  (Grothendieck) topos E
over a base (Grothendieck) topos S can be regarded as a  (Grothendieck) topos
internal to the set theory defined by S could play a role.

Homotopy type theory is a new avenue for the applications  of higher order logic to topology.
But the notion of elementary higher "topos" has not yet been formalised precisely.

Best regards,
André