categories - Category Theory list
* Evaluation of source code, category theoretically?
@ 2014-01-02 18:05 Mike Stay
From: Mike Stay @ 2014-01-02 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

What's the right way to think about evaluation in category theory?
I'm guessing it will look kind of like this: the category will be
symmetric monoidal closed and equipped with an object S whose points
are "source code", together with a collection of interpreter
epimorphisms
     run_{X, Y}: S -> [X, Y]
and some notion of composition in S that works well with composition
of morphisms.

What are the right keywords for doing a literature search on this?
--
Mike Stay - metaweta@gmail.com
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mike

* Re:  Evaluation of source code, category theoretically?
@ 2014-01-23 23:30 ` dusko pavlovic
From: dusko pavlovic @ 2014-01-23 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stay; +Cc: categories

i am hoping that you might also like monoidal computer
http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.5205
it's similar to robin's turing categories, but also quite different. it's all in string diagrams. there is also a complexity theory paper, with a much better string diagram language, which i still didn't upload on arxiv, but will do soon. comments welcome and appreciated.

-- dusko

       [not found] <CAKQgqTYam=YUD5uvLxPu3HkMe=gSirKgGqKnoq0Rx_mkYdK7jw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-01-04 20:48 ` Mike Stay
From: Mike Stay @ 2014-01-04 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Thanks, all for your responses so far; many of you have asked what my
motivation was for the question.  I'm trying to understand pi
calculus.  I've got a bicategorical model of a fragment of pi calculus
where prefixing is composition, but in order to prevent reduction
under a prefix, the remainder of the term needs to be suspended; one
way to do that is to treat it as "source code" and evaluate it in an
environment with bindings, thus my question.

@ 2014-01-03 17:46 Greg Meredith
From: Greg Meredith @ 2014-01-03 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stay, Categories

Dear Mike,

You might consider the literature on normalization by
evaluation<https://www.google.com/search?q=normalization+by+evaluation&oq=normalization+by+evaluation&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6625j0j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8>
.

Best wishes,

--greg