categories - Category Theory list
From: David Roberts <droberts@maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Michal Przybylek <michal.przybylek@gmail.com>
Cc: Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Fibrations in a 2-category
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:21:41 +1030	[thread overview]

Hi Michal,

it is not *always* false. Consider the topoi Set and Set_choice, where
the first is the category of sets without choice and the second is
with choice. Then the bicategory of categories, anafunctors and
transformations in Set is equivalent (assuming choice in the
metalogic) to the 2-category of categories, functors and natural
transformations in Set_choice. This is (essentially) shown by Makkai
in his original anafunctors paper.

However, I doubt that it is always true (only a hunch). Also, one does
not need a topos as an ambient category in which to define
anafunctors, only a site where the Grothendieck pretopology is
subcanonical and singleton (single maps as covering families). The
topos case is when you take the regular pretopology.

And although you did not ask for a reference, here's one:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.2363

which builds on internal anafunctors introduced here

http://arxiv.org/abs/math.CT/0410328

and Makkai's original paper is available in parts from here:

http://www.math.mcgill.ca/makkai/anafun/

David