categories - Category Theory list
* RE: Finitely presentable presheaves
@ 2000-05-17  8:04 S.J.Vickers
From: S.J.Vickers @ 2000-05-17  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

> Consider the category of presheaves  C^  on a small category,  C.
>
> Plainly, a finite colimit  F  of representables presheaves is finitely
> presentable, in the usual sense:  C^(F, -)  preserves
> filtered colimits.
> But the converse is also true and seemingly well known: every finitely
> presentable presheaf is a finite colimit of representables.
>
> Is this proved somewhere?

I think this is obvious from the fact that the theory of presheaves over C
is many sorted, essentially algebraic (a finite limit theory), with a sort
for each object of C and a unary operator for each morphism. Then finitely
presentable in the categorical sense is the same as finitely presentable in
the algebraic sense, which is equivalent to being a finite colimit of free
cyclic (i.e. one generator) algebras. In the case of presheaves, Yoneda's
lemma says precisely that the free algebra on a generator of sort X (object
of C) is the representable presheaf for X.

I have exploited some of these facts in a paper with my PhD student Gillian
Hill, "Presheaves as configured specifications". It develops a language for
specifying systems by components with sharing.

Steve Vickers.

* Finitely presentable presheaves
@ 2000-05-16 15:55 Marco Grandis
From: Marco Grandis @ 2000-05-16 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Consider the category of presheaves  C^  on a small category,  C.

Plainly, a finite colimit  F  of representables presheaves is finitely
presentable, in the usual sense:  C^(F, -)  preserves filtered colimits.
But the converse is also true and seemingly well known: every finitely
presentable presheaf is a finite colimit of representables.

Is this proved somewhere?

Best regards

Marco Grandis

Dipartimento di Matematica
Universita' di Genova
via Dodecaneso 35
16146 GENOVA, Italy

e-mail: grandis@dima.unige.it
tel: +39.010.353 6805   fax: +39.010.353 6752

http://www.dima.unige.it/STAFF/GRANDIS/
ftp://pitagora.dima.unige.it/WWW/FTP/GRANDIS/