categories - Category Theory list
* Category of directed multigraphs with loops
@ 2003-02-17 21:09 Galchin Vasili
From: Galchin Vasili @ 2003-02-17 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hello,

      Given two graphs, A and B, I am trying figure out how to construct
the product AxB. I have been rereading "Conceptual Mathemtatics" by
Lawvere. The category of irreflexive graphs is one of the running examples
throughout the book. I have been concentrating on the chapters concerned
with the product of objects, but I don't see any details of how to
construct AxB. Have I skipped over something?

Regards, Bill Halchin

* Re: Category of directed multigraphs with loops
@ 2003-02-21 14:35 ` Francois Magnan
From: Francois Magnan @ 2003-02-21 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi,

	The product in the category of directed irreflexive multigraphs is
simple to compute. In fact, if you learn further about topos theory you
will learn that all finite limits in a presheaf topos are computed
pointwise. The category that interests you is a presheaf category since
it is the category of all functors from the category

                      ------------>
C^op  =  A                     V
                      ------------>

to the category of sets.

In simpler words, it means that if you take two graphs: G_1 and G_2
with vertices sets V_1 and  V_2 and arrows sets A_1 and A_2
respectively. The product graph P=G_1 x G_2 will have V_P=V_1xV_2
(normal catesian product in sets) as vertices and A_P=A_1xA_2 as
arrows. The incidence relation are the expected ones.

For the reflexive directed multigraphs as all presheafs the recipe is
the same. I would suggest you to read the book:

M.La Palme Reyes, G. Reyes, Generic Figures and their glueings: A
constructive approach to functor categories.

Which is still unpublished as of now but I can send you a PDF.

Hope this helps,
Francois Magnan

On Monday, Feb 17, 2003, at 16:09 America/Montreal, Galchin Vasili
wrote:

> Hello,
>
>       Given two graphs, A and B, I am trying figure out how to
> construct
> the product AxB. I have been rereading "Conceptual Mathemtatics" by
> Lawvere. The category of irreflexive graphs is one of the running
> examples
> throughout the book. I have been concentrating on the chapters
> concerned
> with the product of objects, but I don't see any details of how to
> construct AxB. Have I skipped over something?
>
> Regards, Bill Halchin

Francois Magnan
Recherche & Développement
Cogniscience Editeurs Inc.