Ross and I were two of the 14 students who took Honours Pure Maths at the University of Sydney in 1965. My mother was Marjorie Pratt, a champion diver in the 1930's, and as luck would have it, Ross's wife is also Marjorie. G'day, mate. Vaughan On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 9:51 PM Ross Street wrote: > Dear Bob > > Far away in time and distance from most of your readers Max Kelly, in > Australia, > decided to make a mailing list of category theorists he knew from > conferences; > I contributed some more people. The list was typed on a golfball IBM > typewriter. > When we had a preprint or two (and once, a ``Christmas Letter''), we would > photocopy > the list onto sheets of address labels, put the preprints in envelopes, > and mail them > using the reliable postal system of the 1970s. > > Once we sent the list itself around too. Mike Barr wrote or said to Max: > ``What am I supposed > to do with this!'' Max explained what we did. However, by then, word > processors were > around and Mike wanted an electronic version. We moved to that. The first > word processor > our Macquarie Mathematics Department secretaries used was called ``OK > editor'', not great. > Of course then in came email and work stations and personal computers and > TeX, . . . ; you > know the story. > > In 1990, you stepped in with prescient creations: a social medium for > category theory > and one of the very first electronic mathematics journals. > What a debt our subject owes you!! You dedicated so much to running both > magnificently. > So easy to say ``thank you'', and I do. However, with all the thanks > flowing in, our joint > appreciation should be clear. > > It is a hard act to follow. Luckily, JS has stepped forward and already > managed to have > a replacement system up and running. I have full confidence that he will > run it well, he > is so bright and energetic. Moreover, I told the little story in the first > paragraph to express > my feeling of some satisfaction that the system has come to this far, > distant land. > > Surely now Bob, you will have a bit more time for research and other > things. > You deserve it. > > With best regards, > Ross > > > On 27 Oct 2023, at 1:14 am, Bob Rosebrugh wrote: > > > > > > Dear Colleagues, > > > > From March 1990 until recently it was my privilege to moderate the > categories mailing list. For a couple of years it has been my intention to > pass the list to a new moderator, but I was too slow to act. Changes to IT > service at my former employer, Mount Allison University, abruptly made it > impossible for me to continue running the list. > > > > Those changes were unexpected for me, but I have been away from the > campus for over three years and was not aware. The IT staff at Mount > Allison have always been very supportive of the list and I thank them for > their more than three decades of generous assistance. > > > > It is a reassuring pleasure to know that the list is now in the capable > hands of JS Lemay who kindly accepted the invitation to revive it. I am > very grateful. Moreover, there is no one better suited to the role and our > community is fortunate to have him moderating. I am also very happy that > the new home of the list is Macquarie. > > > > Best wishes to everyone. I am hoping to see many of you in the not > distant future, > > Bob Rosebrugh > > > > > > ---------- > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. > > Leave group: > > https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BBzTC1WLjwsg3OR4TLQkkb?domain=outlook.office365.com >