In one way or another, there certainly is a paradise where mathematicians continue their research. In the worst case, that paradise are the other mathematicians. For mathematicians, that is also the best case. In any case, Phil is in paradise and our memories and many future thoughts are with him. -- dusko On Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 10:16 AM Joyal, André > wrote: Dear all, To Rick Blute, Robin Cockett and Simon Henry I am very sad to learn that Phil has left us for another world. I knew him from the time he was studying with Jim Lambek, about 50 years ago. I have a good memory of the lively discussions we had in a café in the Mile-End near McGill. He was always eager to discuss new ideas and he had an apparent limitless thirst for mathematics. His book with Lambek, "Introduction Higher Categorical Logic" is a landmark. He created the school of category theory in Ottawa. I owe him a personal debt: a few years ago, he took the initiative of presenting my case to the Jeffery-Willams prize of the CMS, which I won in 2022! Thank you Phil! I wish there is a paradise for mathematicians, so they can continue their research. Phil was a good angel and we need help. André Joyal ________________________________ De : Jason Parker > Envoyé : 20 décembre 2023 12:17 À : Richard Blute > Cc : Categories mailing list > Objet : Re: Phil Scott Dear all, I am very saddened to hear of Phil's passing. Phil was one of my PhD advisors at the University of Ottawa from 2015-2020 (along with Pieter Hofstra, who also sadly passed away in 2022). He was an extremely kind and supportive mentor in mathematics and in life. I also knew him to be a very caring and conscientious teacher, from when I served as a teaching assistant for his discrete mathematics course (on more than one occasion), and from when I took a graduate course with him on categorical logic. I last saw him in person when I had a post-PhD-defense celebratory dinner at the Green Door restaurant in Ottawa (one of his favourites!), and in recent years I had seen him at various online seminars and conferences. I last spoke to him over e-mail in October, not knowing that that would be the last time we would speak. May he rest in peace. -Jason Parker On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 6:36 AM Richard Blute > wrote: It is with great sadness that we convey the news to the category theory community that our good friend and colleague Phil Scott passed away this morning (18th December, 2023) after a long battle with cancer. Phil’s many contributions to category theory are well known. Phil and Jim Lambek essentially invented the field of categorical proof theory with a series of papers that culminated in the book “Introduction To Higher-Order Categorical Logic”, which is still the standard text on the subject. Phil’s research went well beyond these initial works: he made major contributions to theoretical computer science, linear logic, inverse semigroup theory and recursion theory. Those of us who knew him personally will always think of him as a mentor, a friend and a genuinely kind soul. Rick Blute Robin Cockett Simon Henry You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories mailing list group from Macquarie University. To take part in this conversation, reply all to this message. View group files | Leave group | Learn more about Microsoft 365 Groups