sorry, i first lag behind with reading, and then rush with writing before i have read everything that was said. i hope the first paragraph of what i wrote will reawake confusion. it is just a slight variation to what thomas said more precisely. sorry about not reading first :) -- dusko On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 9:16 AM Thomas Streicher < streicher@mathematik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote: > Have sorted out off line with Jon Sterling what I meant. > I am working in ZFC together wit the axiom that every set is element > of a Grothendieck universe. So I do not use class choice at all but > instead choice in all Grothendieck universes. > > What I meant is that one should not reduce choice to the first > universe but instead have it for all sets irrespective of the universe > they live in! > > I always found this the most convient setting to work in. But not many > people do it. But if you work in it then there is no need for class > choice anymore. > > Sorry for not having expanded my general implicit assumptions beforehand. > I do see that my view is not the majority view. > > But it is the most convenient setting for doing category theory in my > eyes and it is weaker than real large cardinal axioms that set theorists > study consider. > > Thomas > > > > ---------- > > You're receiving this message because you're a member of the Categories > mailing list group from Macquarie University. > > Leave group: > > https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/JYQgCE8wlRCr3MGkHNht4i?domain=outlook.office365.com >