categories - Category Theory list
From: "Jean Bénabou" <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
To: Zhen Lin Low <zll22@cam.ac.uk>,
Cc: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: A condition for functors to reflect orthogonality
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 05:08:56 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Zhen Lin,

Before I answer your question let me give names to arbitrary maps of C:
f: X --> Y,  g: Z --> W,  x: Z -->X,  y: W --> Y and h: W --> X . Your condition reads:
for every pair (f,g) and every triple (x,y,h') where:
  yg = fx and  h': UW --> UX  satisfies :  h' Ug = Ux  and  Uf h' = Uy,
there exits a unique h: W -->X  such that:  Uh = h',  hg = x  and fh = y .
One verifies first that this condition is satisfied for all pairs (f,g) iff it is satisfied for f arbitrary and g is an identity.
In that case that means that f is what I call hypercartesian (which in the anglo-american literature is called cartesian). Since f is arbitrary , the condition becomes:
(i) Every map of C is hyper cartesian.
Let me call U locally full and faithful (lff) iff for every object X of C the obvious functor
C/X --> D/UX  is full and fathull.
In my mail to Joyal and the catgory list, dated July 28 I already mentioned that (i) is equivalent to
(ii) U is lff.
I also said, it is obvious, that U full and faithful => U is lff .
I mentioned also the case of groupoids, with a sharper result than the one you stated, namely: If C is a groupoid, every functor U: C --> D, where D is arbitrary, is lff.

Let me add a remark which was not in my mail to Joyal, namely, the previous property characterizes groupoids. More precisely we have:

PROPOSITION 1. Let C be a category. The following are equivalent:
(i) C is a groupoid
(ii) Every functor with domain C is lff
(iii) The unique functor C --> 1 is lff.

There are MANY MORE properties of lff functors which would be too long to give here.
Let me mention a few which are not in my mail to Joyal.
  The following theorem generalizes greatly the previous proposition.

THEOREM. Let  U: C --> D be a fibration. The following are equivalent:
(i) U is lff
(ii) All the fibers of U are groupoids.
(iii) U is conservative (i.e. reflects isomorphisms).

Such fibrations are very important. Because of (ii) they have sometimes been called groupoid fibrations. In particular, it follows from (iii), that for such a fibration if D is a groupoid so is C.

You said that the functors satisfying your condition are stable by composition. This result can be strengthened since we have:

PROPOSITION 2. Let  U and V be functors such that the composite UV is defined.
If U is lff, then UV is lff iff V is.

The following result is easy to prove but nevertheless important for many theoretical reasons.

THEOREM 2. lff functors are stable by pull back along any functor.

I could add many significant results, in particular about cartesian functors, or orthogonality but this mail is already a bit long, and I apologize for this length.
Thus  there is no need to give a name to the property you mentioned, locally full and faithful describes precisely this property.

Best wishes,
Jean