categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Kripke semantics and Alexandrov topology
@ 2003-04-24 22:54 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2003-04-24 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

YES, because it doesn't matter.

Bill's question is not well framed (besides the potential for ambiguity in
the answer arising from "Am I wrong to say that").  Is the question is about
intuitionistic logic/Heyting algebra itself, or its domain of discourse,
ostensibly posetal Kripke structures?  If the former, then the canonical
models obtained by dualizing Heyting algebras are Stone(-Priestley(-Heyting))
spaces, whose topology is compact, the logic being finitary.  If the latter,
and if Stone topology is more bother than discrete topology (surely the case
from a pedagogical standpoint), then the Alexandrov topology is preferable;
this in general is not compact.

But variations between topologies having the same specialization order
describe only what points are approached in the (infinite) limit.  Since
intuitionistic logic is entirely finitary and does not concern itself with
limiting processes, it doesn't matter what topology Kripke semantics is
based on.  Hence YES, Bill is wrong to imply that it does matter (other
than for the secondary reasons discussed above).

Best, Vaughan

@ 2003-04-24  6:45 ` Francois Lamarche
From: Francois Lamarche @ 2003-04-24  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories