categories - Category Theory list
* Re: graphics package
@ 2004-02-21 16:18 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2004-02-21 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

>Anyone have a recommendation for a software package that makes it easy
>to draw the equivalent of flow chart?
>with boxes, triangles, circles as junctions??

For this and many similar applications (Hasse diagrams, one-off characters
like inverted ampersand, etc.), Latex's picture environment is a remarkably
expressive language, permitting a self-contained library of macros for
drawing circuits to be implemented in 20 noncomment lines.  See

    http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/sumprod.pdf
    http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/TEX/sumprod.tex

for the circuit realization of sum and tensor product in chu(Set,2),
which appeared in http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/gates.pdf (FOCS'93 Palo
Alto)
and http://boole.stanford.edu/pub/bud.pdf (TEMPUS'94 Budapest).

Vaughan Pratt

* Re:  graphics package
@ 2004-02-21 15:20 Colin McLarty
From: Colin McLarty @ 2004-02-21 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Jim Stasheff wrote:

 >Anyone have a recommendation for a software package that
 >makes it easy to draw the equivalent of flow chart?
 >with boxes, triangles, circles as junctions??

I like Xy-Pic very much (with LaTeX).  It can do that.  You would probably
use the "graph" feature or see the worked example on p. 10 of the user's
guide.

The downside is that the user's guide and the reference manual are very
spotty.  I find the only way to learn to use Xy-pic, and then to learn to
use any given feature, is to copy the examples out of the relevant section
of the user's guide or the reference manual and fool around with them until
you see which parts do what.  The Xy-pic chapter of the LaTeX GRAPHICS
COMPANION was *extremely* helpful to me.

Colin

* Re: graphics package
@ 2004-02-21 14:20 Michael Mislove
From: Michael Mislove @ 2004-02-21 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try gastex - it's available from Paul Gastin's home page:
http://www.liafa.jussieu.fr/~gastin/gastex/gastex.html
  Best regards,
  Mike Mislove

| Anyone have a recommendation for a software package that makes it easy
| to draw the equivalent of flow chart?
| with boxes, triangles, circles as junctions??
|

| .oooO   Jim Stasheff jds@math.unc.edu
| (UNC)   since retiring from UNC hanging out at U Penn jds@math.upenn.edu
|  \ (    146 Woodland Dr FAX:(215)-573-4063
|   \*)   Lansdale PA 19446-1437
|
|         http://www.math.unc.edu/Faculty/jds

* graphics package
@ 2004-02-19 16:37 James Stasheff