categories - Category Theory list
From: "Fred E.J. Linton" <FLinton@Wesleyan.edu>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: fundamental theorem of algebra
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 14:43:09 -0400	[thread overview]

For the bookworms among the readers of this FToA thread, let me
offer four older references to undergraduate-accessible expositions
of proofs along the lines already mentioned:

First, in Birkhoff & Mac Lane (my own undergraduate algebra text),
Section 3 of Chapter V of the 1953 ("revised") edition offers a
proof along winding number lines on pp. 107-109.

Next, in the 1975 MIR English edition of Kurosh's Higher Algebra
(described as the "second printing"), section 23 of Chapter 5 offers a
proof relying on the D'Alembert Lemma (on pp. 142-151).

In the same Kurosh volume, moreover, section 55 of Chapter 11 offers a
proof along symmetric function lines on pp. 337-340.

Finally, one may find the Artinian proof in the real-closed fields
section of van der Waerden's pre-WWII classic, Modern[e] Algebra.

I refrain from citing other textbooks, and I remark that numberings
(of pages, sections, chapters) may differ in other editions.

Cheers,

-- Fred