categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: [Fwd: du Sautoy]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 10:12:59 -0700	[thread overview]

Dear Marta,

I couldn't agree more.  Usually I find myself disagreeing with some
picky point or other but somehow your message managed to completely
avoid my (too many) hot buttons!

Your two points (broad publicity for the general benefits of the subject
but only taking the best students to actually work in it) are of course
applicable to any subject.   Executing well on both brings a new subject
up to the stature of the established subjects.  CT has done very well on
the latter but might be judged as having fallen short on the former so
far, though perhaps not for want of trying but rather the manner of
presentation.  When in Rome speak Italian (and don't mention home
delivery pizza).

On the concern you raised a while back about perceptions of crankiness,
physics runs the gamut from well-publicized spectacular advances to more
cranks than just about any other scientific discipline; in that respect
it nicely brackets both CT and chemistry on both sides.  Whether CT has
accumulated more cranks than chemists is an interesting question, which
brings to mind the category theory professors from the Mahareshi Yogi's
TM university in Fairfield buttonholing Bill Lawvere at an AMAST meeting
in Iowa a while back.  Wish I could have video'd that.

Best,
Vaughan