categories - Category Theory list
From: "Tom Leinster" <t.leinster@maths.gla.ac.uk>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Jobs in Glasgow
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:13:13 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

Once again, we're hiring.  There are two positions available, Lecturer and
Senior Lecturer/Reader.  See the forwarded mail below.

For those not familiar with British academic terminology, these are all
tenured jobs.  Lecturer is the basic position (e.g. that's what I am).
Senior Lecturer and Reader are more senior.  Professors are relative
rarities; it's perfectly normal to finish one's career as a SL or Reader,
without ever becoming a Professor.

I should point out that this huge wave of hiring has not been brought
about by mass desertion.  It's mainly for demographic reasons (lots of
people retiring), and in this case because of a couple of people moving
from teaching to pure research roles.

The blurb says that "preference may be given to" those with an interest in
analysis, geometry or topology.  However, (a) in the past we've tended to
be quite open-minded about appointing people outside our specifically
targetted areas, and (b) for certain reasons, I think that now could be
quite a favourable time for a category theorist to apply.

If you want any further informal information, feel free to get in touch.

Tom