categories - Category Theory list
* gentle introduction to CT?
@ 2006-08-10 21:19 Stephen Davies
From: Stephen Davies @ 2006-08-10 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hello all, I'm a complete novice to Category Theory, and I'm looking for
some kind of tutorial or other introductory material that would help me
at least get up to speed with the basics.  Maybe something that assumed
some discrete math and abstract algebra, and proceeded to develop the
topic for beginners.  Are there any intro texts like that out there?
(And if not, would someone please write and publish one? :->)

    Thanks,

- Stephen Davies
  (stephen@umw.edu)

* Re: gentle introduction to CT?
@ 2006-08-14  3:13 Brett G. Giles
From: Brett G. Giles @ 2006-08-14  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi Stephen

There are numerous books on Category Theory, but only one I can think of
fits your criteria. You may want to look at:
  Conceptual Mathematics
  by F.W. Lawvere and S. H. Schanuel
  ISBN 0-521-47817-0 (paperback)

It gives a good thorough intro to the subject.

Online and free is "A Gentle Introduction to Category Theory" by Maarten
Fokkinga at http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~fokkinga/mmf92b.html

Depending on your math background, you may find the second a little fast
paced.

Good luck