categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Reflexive coequalizers
@ 2006-10-09 14:47 Jiri Adamek
From: Jiri Adamek @ 2006-10-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Richard Garner wrote:

> I have a proof that the indiscrete category functor
> Set -> Cat preserves reflexive coequalizers which,
> although straightfoward, uses the explicit
> description of colimits in Cat. Is this necessary,
> or can I deduce the result from general
> principles?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a nice example of an algebraically exact functor:
for varieties Alg T, where T is an algebraic theory (and
Alg T is the category of all finite-product preserving
functors in [T, Set]), all theory morphisms F: T -> S
induce functors Alg F: Alg S -> Alg T given by precomposing
with F; they are called algebraically exact. These are precisely
the right adjoints between varieties which preserve sifted
colimits- and reflexive coequalizers are special sifted colimits.
This all is a part of the duality between varieties and algebraic
theories (described by F.W.Lawvere, J. Rosicky and myself, Algebra
Universalis 49 (2003), 1-45).

Consider the "obvious" algebraic theory S of Set, the dual of
finite sets, and the "obvious" theory C of Cat, the dual of
finitely presentable cats. The functor F: C -> S which forgets
morphisms induces the indiscrete category functor as Alg F.

* reflexive coequalizers
@ 2006-11-06 13:39 Jiri Adamek
From: Jiri Adamek @ 2006-11-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories net

The indiscrete-category functor I: Set -> Cat is not algebraically
exact as I claimed in my posting of October 9. But I is
a full codomain restriction of one: as in that posting, let F
be the forgetful functor the Gabriel-Ulmer theory T
of categories to the theory of sets. Then Alg F is an algebraically
exact functor from Set to Alg T, and the Yoneda embedding
Y: Cat -> Alg T is fully faithful (since the dual of T is dense in Cat).
It is easy to see that Alg F is naturally isomorphic to Y.I , thus,
I preserves sifted colimits.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
alternative e-mail address (in case reply key does not work):
J.Adamek@tu-bs.de

@ 2006-10-09 20:09 Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2006-10-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Ah yes, I see now. I had observed that the
underlying diagram of indiscrete graphs was still a
coequalizer -- which unfortunately is to truncate
one's simplicial sets a little too much! Many
thanks for the enlightenment.

Richard

--On 09 October 2006 20:40 George Janelidze wrote:

> Dear Richard,
>
> If we were asking the same question about the category SimplSet of
> simplicial sets instead of Cat, the answer would be obvious since:
>
> (*) The functor Set ---> Set sending X to X^n preserves reflexive
> coequalizers for each natural n. This (very simple) fact should be
> considered as well known since it is involved in one of several well-known
> proofs of monadicity of varieties of universal algebras over Set.
>
> (**) Since SimplSet is a Set-valued functor category, all colimits in it
> reduce to colimits in Set.
>
> For those who are familiar with the standard adjunction between SimplSet and
> Cat, the result for SimplSet will immediately imply the result for Cat
> (since the fundamental category functor being the left adjoint in that
> adjunction preserves all colimits and obviously sends "indiscrete simplicial
> sets" to indiscrete categories).
>
> One could also use various (not too much) truncated simplicial sets instead
> of the simplicial sets of course (e.g. what I once called "precategories").
>
> I mean, I do not remember any reference, but I would not need the explicit
> description of colimits in Cat.
>
> George Janelidze

* Re: Reflexive coequalizers
@ 2006-10-09 18:40 George Janelidze

> I have a proof that the indiscrete category functor
> Set -> Cat preserves reflexive coequalizers which,
> although straightfoward, uses the explicit
> description of colimits in Cat. Is this necessary,
> or can I deduce the result from general
> principles?
>
> [Also, I'm sure this result must appear somewhere
> but I can't find a reference for it. If anyone
> knows of one, I'd be grateful.]
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Richard

* Re: Reflexive coequalizers
@ 2006-10-09 13:37 ` Prof. Peter Johnstone
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2006-10-09 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Richard Garner wrote:

> Dear categorists,
>
> I have a proof that the indiscrete category functor
> Set -> Cat preserves reflexive coequalizers which,
> although straightfoward, uses the explicit
> description of colimits in Cat. Is this necessary,
> or can I deduce the result from general
> principles?

It certainly follows from the fact that reflexive coequalizers
commute with finite products in Set (or in any cartesian closed
category). This is a result that some people attribute to me,
since the first place it was explicitly written down seems to
have been my PhD thesis, though I'm sure it was known well
before that.

Peter Johnstone

* Reflexive coequalizers
@ 2006-10-09 10:14 Richard Garner