categories - Category Theory list
From: "Stephen Lack" <S.Lack@uws.edu.au>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Characterization of integers as a commutative ring with unit
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:01:28 +1000	[thread overview]

Dear Andrej,

I take it by unit you mean identity (1). Then in the category of commutative
rings with 1, you presumably want the 1 to be preserved. So Z is initial, and
the trivial ring is terminal.

On the category of commutative rings without 1 (i.e. not necessarily having a 1),
there is a monoidal structure, formed by tensoring the underlying abelian groups,
and equipping this with the usual multiplication. (This would be the coproduct
in the category of commutative rings with 1, but it is not the coproduct here.)
If you allow yourself to use this extra structure, then Z is characterized as
the unit object for the tensor product.

The category of commutative rings with 1, but homomorphisms not necessarily
preserving it, seems rather unnatural, but for what it's worth, the tensor
product of the previous paragraph restricts to this category, and so can be
used to characterize Z once again.

Regards,

Steve Lack.