categories - Category Theory list
* Boycott Elsevier
@ 2006-12-08 15:39 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2006-12-08 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Along with Springer, Bertelsmann, Gordon & Breach and any other publisher
who is killing our libraries with their outrageous prices.  We category
theorists have TAC, for example, and there are other possibilities.  I
have just had a paper (in point set topology) accepted by Mathematica
Japonica, who publish in all areas of math.

What gripes me about these publishers is that as their costs decline
(typesetting was once their largest cost and is now almost gone) their
prices go up.  It has been almost 12 years since I have anything to do
with these publishers, as referee or author.  I did hang on as editor for
a few more years since it was the only way McGill could get JPAA.

Just one more comment.  Although I don't think the arms trade would
decline if Elsevier didn't participate, I also would not want to be
associated with anyone involved in the trade.  I do not delude myself into
thinking that my repugnance would have any effect.  On the other hand, a
boycott of these publishers by mathematicians in general would certainly
have an effect.

Michael

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-12-08 15:39 UTC | newest]