categories - Category Theory list
* What was left out [Re: FW: Gabor Lukacs in the Globe and Mail]
@ 2006-12-15  2:15 Gabor Lukacs
From: Gabor Lukacs @ 2006-12-15  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Marta,

Thank you for your message!

>> Lukacs was flying off to Budapest last week without being sure of what
>> exactly the article would contain, but it seems from what he told me that
>> they have indeed paid attention to his requests.

Indeed, although I do wish they included a little more from what I said
about Walter Tholen's role in getting to where I am now, and maybe a few
more words on the time I spent in Bremen and Halifax, which have also
played a role in my education. Personally, these mean to me much more than
the story about my escaping Hungary or my childhood.

My sense of justice dictates me to include below a few excerpts from the
interview (part of which was done by e-mail) that, unfortunately, did not
make it to the printed story.

Best wishes,

Gabi

"I consider myself very lucky to have had Walter as my PhD supervisor, and
I learned a lot from him, alhough I do wish I could have learned from him
even more. Behind his back, we (some of his students) call Walter <<our
Master>> -- even now, years after we finished our formal studies with
him."

"I feel that I owe a lot to Walter for everything that he did for me, for
being an emotionally very supportive supervisor, who gave me the freedom
to develop, and who pushed me to think with my own mind."

"Walter was the one who saw me at least once a week, but sometiems even
2-3 times a week he had to put up with me (must have been hard!), and with
my excitingly barging into his office, and starting to explain to him my
latest thoughts -- which often turned out to be wrong after a few minutes
of thinking. I think if someone asked Walter to say honestly what was the
biggest challange in supervising me he would say: <<Having the patience
for him.>>"

only message in thread, other threads:[~2006-12-15  2:15 UTC | newest]