categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Gabor Lukacs in the Globe and Mail
@ 2006-12-17 13:27 Gabor Lukacs
From: Gabor Lukacs @ 2006-12-17 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Peter,

As I hinted in my earlier message to the categories list, had I been in
control of the article, I would have written it quite differently. The
journalist's original intent was not to mention Walter Tholen, or any of
my postdoctoral studies AT ALL because in her opinion, that is not
interesting for the public...

Without boring you with the details, let me just say that I spent the
WHOLE last day of mine before my departure to Europe arguing with the
journalist about this particular issue. The little that *was* eventually
mentioned about academics was a result of this 7-hour-long dialog (or
monologue?). Although she claims to be an expert of academic affairs, she
seemed to have a hard time to understand that an academic success or
achievement is the success of many academics (supervisors, colleagues,
etc.), who should be given due credit for their role.

The way I look at it is that: (a) Mathematics was exposed in the press,
which is a good thing; (b) Nothing terrible appeared about me, even if the
details of my social life are somewhat distorted (the reporter forgot to
mention that I eat cold beans out of a tin...); (c) She did not write
that I am a crook. So, after all, the article is OK...

Finally, I doubt that with the nerdy picture that was chosen for the
article I am going to be flooded with fan's letters.

But, Peter, your sense of humor did not deteriorate since I saw you last
time in Halifax, which is the real good news as far as I am concerned.

Thank you for writing to me/about me!

Best,

Gabi

* Re: Gabor Lukacs in the Globe and Mail
@ 2006-12-15  4:27 Peter Selinger
From: Peter Selinger @ 2006-12-15  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

For those who cannot get a printed copy, I might add that the story
appeared as a 2-page spread in the centerfold of the main section of
the paper, and that the Globe and Mail is the largest daily national
newspaper in Canada. Such prominent placement is unusual for an
article on academia.

The article does not mention category theory, but it does mention that
Gabi might be in need of a girlfriend. Gabi, the Globe and Mail has a
circulation of 2 million; you better get ready for a flood of
applicants :)

Congratulations, -- Peter

@ 2006-12-14 12:52 Marta Bunge
From: Marta Bunge @ 2006-12-14 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear colleagues,

The Globe and Mail today printed an article on Gabor Lukacs, based on an
interview solicited by the paper. The printed edition has color photos,
which the email edition does not.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061214.PROF14/TPStory/?q=
uery=3DGabor+Lukacs

Lukacs was flying off to Budapest last week without being sure of what
exactly the article would contain, but it seems from what he told me that
they have indeed paid attention to his requests.

Congratulations, Gabi!

Marta

Marta Bunge
Professor Emerita
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill University
805 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2K6
Office: (514) 398-3810
Home: (514) 935-3618
marta.bunge@mcgill.ca
http://www.math.mcgill.ca/bunge/

Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN!  Telu=
Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox=AE 360 every day from November 20=
December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your
IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner!
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/