categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@barrs.org>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Elsevier
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:16:49 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

I read John's manifesto, which was interesting.  One thing I do not
understand is the reluctance of libraries and universities to get involved
in this.  While TAC runs without any funding at all (except for the
trivial storage cost that Mt. Alison contributes), a journal publishing a
more typical 2000 pages a year would need at least a minimum of some
clerical support.  A donation of $50/year by 100 universities would go a
long way.

Several years ago one of my colleagues suggested starting a free journal
to be called McGill J. Math.  But there were so many naysayers in the
department that the idea never got off the ground.  As far as I can tell,
I was the only one to support the idea (and volunteer to help).  Pity.

Michael