categories - Category Theory list
From: selinger@mathstat.dal.ca (Peter Selinger)
To: categories@mta.ca (categories)
Subject: Re: Elsevier
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 18:40:12 -0400 (AST)	[thread overview]

I have found that what mathematicians call a "conference" is similar to
what computer scientists usually call a "workshop" - almost everybody
who submits an on-topic abstract can talk, modulo basic sanity checks,
and sometimes on a first-come-first-served basis.

What computer scientists call a "conference" often involves fairly
careful refereeing (by multiple referees) and doesn't seem to exist in
mathematics. The refereeing is often to check for originality,
timeliness, and interest, rather than correctness.

What mathematicians call a "workshop" is often an affair where the
organizers invite their friends to give talks. Sometimes a few short
contributed talks may be accepted if there are empty slots, but
usually there is no (or only a token) public call for contributions.
This type of workshop also exists in computer science, although it is
less common. And some mathematics workshops follow the first pattern
above.

-- Peter