categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@barrs.org>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: What is needed for an online journal
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:26:54 -0500 (EST)	[thread overview]

I guess reality will have to intervene.  Young people need refereed
journal publications if they hope to get tenure and promotion.  Canadians,
and doubtless others, require them in order to get research grants.  If
you are going through the process of refereeing them for ArXiv, you may as
well start a journal; it costs no more.  TAC is a good model and I am
about to find out about the NY J. Math. since I am a coauthor on a paper
that has no category theory in it.

I have probably published as many papers in TAC as anyone else and have so
far managed to convince NSERC that these are genuinely refereed papers.
I recently had a paper turned down for TAC, incidentally, so the
refereeing is real.  I had my doubts whether the paper was publishable and
now I am sure.  On ArXiv, there would have been no judgment.

However, I do not believe that this model of totally cost-free publication
is viable in the long run.  Since the universities will be the main
beneficiaries of the eventual demise (I hope) of the commercial journals,
they ought to be giving us the modest help we need.

Michael