categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Max
@ 2007-01-27 15:31 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2007-01-27 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Max. In our field he was a rock of
reliability and a fountain of imagination. I will miss my lively, warm,
kind, and sometimes mischievous friend.

Bill Lawvere

Quoting Ross Street <street@ics.mq.edu.au>:

> I have very sad news for the categorical community.
> Max Kelly died yesterday 26 January 2007.
> I believe it was a heart attack.
>
> Ross

* Max
@ 2007-02-02 12:51 Cristina Pedicchio
From: Cristina Pedicchio @ 2007-02-02 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

We would like to add  also our feelings of
deep sadness at Max's death

cristina e pierpaolo

* Max
@ 2007-02-01 21:57 jean benabou
From: jean benabou @ 2007-02-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

So many persons have said so many nice things about Max, as a
mathematician, with which of course I fully agree, that it would be
vain for me to try to add anything on that subject. As a person, his
kindness, his sense of humor will be missed by all of us, and as
Eduardo said "category land" will be much different and a lot more dull.

Jean Benabou

* Max
@ 2007-02-01 14:28 Dietmar Schumacher
From: Dietmar Schumacher @ 2007-02-01 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I heard Max once say, without bluster or false modesty,  that he was
just a competent mathematician. Setting the bar that high, he was an
inspiration even to those (like me) who had little hope to clear it.

D.Schumacher.

* Max
@ 2007-02-01 10:44 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2007-02-01 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I only met Max a couple of times, but I vividly remember a particular
phrase of his. He would ask, "What's the deal?", and that was a prelude
to cutting right through to the mathematical essence of an argument. The
phrase has stayed with me ever since.

Steve Vickers.

* Max
@ 2007-01-31 18:23 tholen
From: tholen @ 2007-01-31 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Max Kelly was not only a power house of categorical understanding, but
he also taught us how to combine beauty with rigour and thoroughness in
his mathematical writings (see, for example, Richard Wood's recent
message!) and thereby rendered an enormous service to the reputation of
category theory.

In addition to creating a world centre for categories at Sydney, with his
willingness to spend long periods of time at numerous places in the world
he was (together with Saunders Mac Lane) also the prime ambassador for
category theory for many years in many countries, where he would not only
give plenty of his time but also never fail to fully engage himself in the
local language and culture.

Early in my career I had the great privilege to benfit from Max's visits
in Germany. Like many others, I will always remain very grateful to him
for everything that I learned from him at that time, and for being such a
candid and inspiring leader in our community for over forty years.

Walter Tholen.

* Re: Max
@ 2007-01-29 11:15 ` George Janelidze
From: George Janelidze @ 2007-01-29 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

Gregory Maxwell Kelly was one of the great mathematicians of our time, so
perfect in his research and vision of mathematics, and in every aspect of
academic life. And he was so exceptionally kind to everyone. It is hard to
imagine that Max is not with us anymore, and it is a great pain for his
family and for all of us, his friends and colleagues...

George Janelidze

From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2007-01-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

I am deeply saddened by the death of Max Kelly. When I saw the subject in
Ross posting, and before opening the message, my heart already felt
anguish. I am more saddened with his loss that what I have been by the
loss of any other member of our category theory community. In fact, I
loved Max. I admired his courage, his independence of thought, his lack of
hypocrisy, and I loved him simply by the way he was. I am proud that he
considered me his friend. For me, our community is not the same without
Max.

                     Eduardo J. Dubuc

> I have very sad news for the categorical community.
> Max Kelly died yesterday 26 January 2007.
> I believe it was a heart attack.
>
> Ross

* Max
@ 2007-01-27  0:27 Ross Street