categories - Category Theory list
* Details
@ 2007-03-06 23:55 Peter May
From: Peter May @ 2007-03-06 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

1971, not 1982, was when operads were defined.
Certainly I did not know multicategories, but
they only correspond to non-sigma operads,
operads without permutations, and I would not
have bothered inventing a word just for them.
Precisely, multicategories are the many object
version of non-sigma operads.  The point is
that the applications for which operads were
invented depend vitally on the permutations.

Peter May

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-03-06 23:55 UTC | newest]