categories - Category Theory list
* Re: pullback ...
@ 2007-03-07  2:09 Fred E.J.  Linton
From: Fred E.J.  Linton @ 2007-03-07  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Greetings!

As regards Peter <P.T.Johnstone@dpmms.cam.ac.uk> Johnstone's query,

> ... does anyone out there know who invented the
> terms "pullback" and "pushout"? ...,

while I can't speak directly to the question of who invented those
terms, I do recall that, in the late '50s already, fiber bundles
were being "pulled back" along maps to their base spaces. And I can
still hear the late Serge Lang, bless his soul, intoning "pooll-back"
and "poosh-out" in his characeristic French accent, in Columbia
courses and seminars from the late '50s and early '60s.

So the terms were pretty well established (and pull-back, anyway,
pretty well motivated), at least at Columbia, that early.

Cheers,

-- Fred

* Re: pullback ...
@ 2007-03-07 20:18 Dr. Cyrus F Nourani