categories - Category Theory list
* Re: epic monics
@ 2007-03-07 18:45 Flinton
From: Flinton @ 2007-03-07 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

For David <dkarapetyan@ucdavis.edu> Karapetyan, who asked,

> ... the inclusion function of
> N into Z provides a counterexample [to] every epic arrow being a
> surjective function. I noticed that N is just a "folded" version of Z,
> where by "folded" I mean take Z and throw away all the inverses of the
> natural numbers. So does every monic, epic arrow determine such a
> "folding" or are there monic, epics that can't be characterized in such
> a way?

let me offer two further examples of monic epic arrows, not surjective
(and both pretty standard):

1) in Hausdorff topological spaces, the inclusion of the rationals
 in the reals;

2) in boolean rngs (i.e., units not required, and not necessarily
preserved when present) with countable intersections, and boolean
homomorphisms preserving those intersections, the inclusion of the
boolean rng of finite subsets of N in the whole power-set of N
(this is epic because boolean homomorphisms (between such boolean rngs)
that preserve countable intersections will also preserve whatever
countable joins may be available, and every subset of N is the join
of all its finite subsets).

Does your "folding" insight still stand up? Or must it be modified?

-- Fred Linton

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-03-07 18:45 UTC | newest]