categories - Category Theory list
From: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: functions not polynomials
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 22:56:28 -0700	[thread overview]

The counterexample Paul cites of a function f(x,y) that is a univariate
polynomial in x and y separately but not a bivariate polynomial in x and
y jointly has the following "degree growth" property:

(*)  For each d in N, f(-,d) and f(d,-) are polynomials of degree <= d.

As anyone who's played around with bicubic patches for computer graphics
knows, the degree has to grow for such a counterexample since any global
bound on the degree of f(x,-) and f(-,y) separately suffices for f(x,y)
to be a polynomial in x and y jointly with the same degree bound (taking
the degree of x^3 y^2 to be 3 rather than 5).

The class of all functions of the above degree-growing form has the
following nice characterization if we take real-valued rather than
integer-valued functions (or any other algebraically closed field),
still defined on N and NxN however.  Let U be that subset of NxN --> R
whose functions enjoy the above degree growth property (*).  Define W:
(NxN --> R) --> (N --> R) by Wf(x) = f(x,x) for all x in N.

Theorem.  The restriction of W to U is a bijection.

(So if W is in some sense natural we have a natural bijection, about as
close as I'm going to get to anything sounding at all categorical here.)

Proof.  Let g: N --> R be an arbitrary sequence of reals.  We show by
induction on the d in (*) that there exists a unique f in U for which Wf
= g.  Take the induction hypothesis to be that f(-,i) and f(i,-) are
uniquely determined polynomials of degree at most d for all natural
numbers i <= d.  If the induction hypothesis holds for all d in N we
have completely determined f.

Base case.  f(-,0) and f(0,-) are constant functions, whence for all
natural numbers x,y, necessarily f(x,0) = f(0,y) = f(0,0) = g(0).

Inductive step.  Assuming the induction hypothesis for d, take
f(d+1,d+1) = g(d+1).  This determines f(i,d+1) and f(d+1,i) for all i
from 0 to d+1, which in turn uniquely determines f(-,d+1) and f(d+1,-)
as polynomials of degree d+1 (exactly one polynomial of degree d+1
passes through d+2 points).  The induction hypothesis therefore holds
for d+1.  QED

Corollary.  The members of U are symmetric: f(x,y) = f(y,x).

So the symmetry in Paul's example was not just an isolated artifact but
an inevitable consequence of his rate of degree growth.

QUESTION: For which g does W^{-1}(g) (of type NxN --> R) extend "nicely"
to RxR --> R, for any given notion of niceness?  For example if g is a
polynomial of degree d then so is W^{-1}(g), giving the obvious
extension to RxR as the same polynomial.  What if g is periodic,
ultimately constant, ultimately periodic, etc.?

Vaughan