categories - Category Theory list
* Lawvere's Measures on toposes
@ 2007-06-05 20:09 B.Spitters
From: B.Spitters @ 2007-06-05 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Lawvere's lecture: `Measures on toposes' was warmly recommended to me.

[LAWVERE, F. W., Measures on toposes, Lectures given at the Workshop on
Category Theoretic Methods in Geometry, Aarhus, 1983]

However, I seem to be unable to find any written account of it. Any links
or pointers about its contents would be very welcome.

Bas Spitters

* Re: Lawvere's Measures on toposes
@ 2007-06-06 14:32 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2007-06-06 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Bas Spitters

The first application of this notion of distribution
to be carried out in detail is to singular coverings
in the sense of Fox ("spreads"). This application
and the necessary basics are well described in

Singular Coverings of Toposes
Series: Lecture Notes in Mathematics , Vol. 1890
Bunge, M., Funk, J.
2006, XII, 225 p

Projected applications to model theory have not
yet been carried out to my knowledge.

Note that this notion of distribution is "on" a topos
and is rather canonical. Distribution theory "in" a
cohesive topos is needed for continuum physics
and is hoped to enjoy certain simplications relative
to traditional treatments based on contravariant
descriptions of cohesion, because of the
unique existence of map spaces.

Sincerely
F William Lawvere

Quoting B.Spitters@cs.ru.nl: