categories - Category Theory list
* Dirac quotation
@ 2007-06-08  9:25 Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2007-06-08  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In my last email I quoted Dirac and Agnes Boskovitz of ANU asked me for a reference. In fact I have quoted before in `Out of Line'

"Mathematics also leads science. The great physicist, Paul Dirac, in one of
his last addresses, explained his own credo (quoted in [12] p.63):
  "One should allow oneself to be led in the direction which the mathematics
suggests... one must follow up a mathematical idea and see what its
consequences are, even though one gets led to a domain which is completely
foreign to what one started with.... Mathematics can lead us in a direction
we would not take if we only followed up physical ideas by themselves."

[12] Ferris, T., The world treasury of physics, astronomy and mathematics,
Little, Brown and Co., 1991.

The quotation is in the article in this volume taken from `The second creation' by R.P. Crease and C.C. Mann (Macmillan, 1986).

I do not have any more information than that and any more would be welcome.

Ronnie

only message in thread, other threads:[~2007-06-08  9:25 UTC | newest]