categories - Category Theory list
* tensorial strength
@ 2007-07-18  8:52 Anders Kock
From: Anders Kock @ 2007-07-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Actions by monoidal categories were considered by Benabou in 1967
("Intoduction to bicategories", Midwest Category Seminar I); strength
of functors between categories on which a monoidal category acts were
considered by H. Lindner, in some papers/preprints in the late 70s,
and a summary is given in his "Enriched categories and enriched
modules", Cahiers Vol 22 (1981), 161-174. This paper also contains
several references.

-Aspects of tensorial strength has been developed by several
computer-science mathematicians later (starting with E. Moggi, I
believe); I do not know much about their work, so my answer to Jeff's
question may not be up to date.

Anders Kock

* Re: tensorial strength
@ 2007-07-18 15:23 RJ Wood
From: RJ Wood @ 2007-07-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

(I wrote this to Jeff and Anders a few minutes ago. Since Anders has replied
to all I am circulating it more widely.)

Dear Jeff and Anders
In my thesis (supervised by Bob Pare at Dalhousie in 1976) I considered
(for reasons I won't labour here) (V^op,set)-categories, for monoidal V.
The monoidal structure I took on (V^op,set) was Brian Day's convolution.
Necessarily, a (V^op,set)-category A gives rise to a functor
P:A^op x V^op x A ---> set and this reveals that there are three special
kinds of (V^op,set)-categories:

1) those for which P(-,v,b) is representable, for all v and b, by {v,b} say

2) those for which P(a,-,b) is representable, for all a and b, by [a,b] say

3) those for which P(a,v,-) is representable, for all a and v, by v@a say.

Ordinary V-categories are given by 2). The others have been known
by various names but they are best understood in terms of actions.

Now suppose that F:A--->B is a (V^op,set)-functor where A is of type i)
and B is of type j) as above. Each of the nine possibilities admits a
simple encoding of the enrichment as displayed in the following table:

  1)	F{v,b}--->{v,Fb}	v--->[F{v,b},Fb]	v@F{v,b}--->Fb
  2)	Fa--->{[a,b],Fb}	[a,b]--->[Fa,Fb]	[a,b]@Fa--->Fb
  3)	Fa--->{v,F(v@a)}	v--->[Fa,F(v@a)]	v@Fa--->F(v@a)

Susan Niefield, Robin Cockett, and I are writing a paper whose sequel
will deal with later developments of this topic.
Best to all, Richard