categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-17  6:56 Robert L Knighten
From: Robert L Knighten @ 2007-09-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Colin McLarty writes:
 > A lot of people long before Tarski, or Hilbert, knew how to extend this
 > kind of axiomatization to any finite dimension.  But is
 > it "satisfactory"?
 >
 > Specifically, what about (n-dimensional) volumes.  Euclid 11--13 does
 > not well axiomatize the method of exhaustion he uses for the volume of
 > solids.  And Dehn's theorem that already for polyhedra the theory of
 > volume will not reduce to equidecomposition.
 >
 > I should probably already know this, but what is known about the theory
 > of n-dimensional volume in axiomatic n-dimensional Euclidean geometry?

> . . .

 > > Alfred Tarski and Givant, Steven, 1999, "Tarski's system of geometry,"
 > > Bulletin of Symbolic Logic 5: 175-214.

Of course Tarski's axiomatization had precursors going all the way back to
Euclid, and as is discussed in the Tarski and Givant paper none of his axioms
are new with Tarski.  There is some discussion of the actual development of
Euclidean geometry from the axioms in that article, but I believe (though I do
not actually have the book) the detailed development was presented in

Schwabhauser, W. and Szmielew, W. and Tarski, A.,
Metamathematische Methoden in der Geometrie,
Springer-Verlag, 1983

But the development is in showing how to go from the axioms to analytic
geometry not in developing a direct extension of Euclid's methods.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten
RLK@knighten.org

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-16 16:33 Colin McLarty

From: Robert L Knighten @ 2007-09-15 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

@ 2007-09-15  1:45 Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2007-09-15  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

I wrote in part:

>I also think that it's enlightening to look at Tarski's axioms for geometry.
>[...]

>But one final axiom sets the dimension;
>this states (in effect) that there exist n + 1 points,
>affinely independent and affinely spanning the space.
>If you label the first n points (1,0,0,...) through (...,0,0,1)
>and the last point the origin, then every point has a unique label,
>and the space becomes \R^n.

I just realised (reading my post again on the mailing list)
that Tarski's axiom doesn't give the relative distances between these points,
so these labels (and the later remarks about fixing them) are invalid.
Of course, given Tarski's n + 1 points, you can find my n + 1 points,
and even do this algorithmically (using the Gram-Schmidt process),
so my other remarks hold only if you actually do this
(so that preserving the points means preserving the results
only after the Gram-Schmidt process has been applied).
Thus, the situation is a little less elegant than I implied
(but maybe that's Tarski's fault for phrasing his axiom so liberally ^_^).

--Toby

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-14 17:40 Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2007-09-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Vaughan wrote in part:

>[A "Euclidean space"] has predicates
>recognizing those line segments of unit length, and those lines passing
>through the origin, neither of which I remember from Euclid, [...].

>Euclid does however talk about right triangles and line segments of
>equal length (and equal angles but that follows from the other two).

You seem to have answered your main question, but here are two side points:

I have seen a definition of "Euclidean space"
better than the above (as a real inner product space):
a real affine space with a compatible metric and the parallelogram identity.
This is equivalent to a torsor of a real inner product space,
or to a real affine space modulo length-preserving transformations.

I agree that your definition is correct and this is wrong,
since Euclid had only relative lengths, not absolute length.
But it's worth knowing that the term "Euclidean space" has varied meanings.
I can try to track down the reference if you wish.

I also think that it's enlightening to look at Tarski's axioms for geometry.
These specify a set of points equipped with a ternary and a quaternary relation
(betweenness: A lies on the line segment BC; and AB is congruent to CD).
Most of the axioms are independent of dimension,
and the betweenness- and congruence-preserving bijections
are precisely the affine similarities, as you want.
(Indeed, preserving betweenness makes it affine;
preserving congruence makes it a similarity.)

But one final axiom sets the dimension;
this states (in effect) that there exist n + 1 points,
affinely independent and affinely spanning the space.
If you label the first n points (1,0,0,...) through (...,0,0,1)
and the last point the origin, then every point has a unique label,
and the space becomes \R^n.

Thus the difference between the bad "Euclidean space" as \R^n
(down to having a specific basis, with no nontrivial automorphisms)
and the good Euclid's space as you want to define it
is precisely whether the isomorphisms also fix these n + 1 points.
(Allowing the isomorphisms to permute the n non-origin points
gives us the common "Euclidean space" as a real inner product space;
allowing them to permute all of the n + 1 points
gives us "Euclidean space" as a torsor of a real inner product space,
as in the first section of this post.)

--Toby

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid  working in?
@ 2007-09-14  8:24 France Dacar
From: France Dacar @ 2007-09-14  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Bourbaki in his Algebra, and MacLane & Birkhoff in their Algebra,
have similar definitions.  I do not know the one you cite.  However,
the definition I have given describes an affine space as an honest
equationally presented algebraic structure; usually they just
assert that given any two points a and b, there exists a unique
vector v such that a + v = b.  With the difference of points an
explicitly given operation of the structure, the axiom
a + (b - a) = b gives the existence, and the axiom (a + v) - a = v
the uniqueness.

Using an n-dimensional real space instead of beloved R^n gets rid
of the `canonical' basis.  Observing vectors as translations of
the space of points does away with an a priory origin.  My contribution
was that to do without an a priory unit of length, let the metric
of the Euclid's space be given by a class of mutually proportinal
positive definite forms, instead of a single form.

 > "An affine space is, roughly speaking, a vector space,
 > but without a particular vector being chosen as zero."
Or shall we say that an affine space is a perfect geometric communism
where all points are equal, while in a vector space one vector is
more equal than others.

-- France

--
Dr. France Dacar                      Email: france.dacar@ijs.si
Intelligent Systems Department        Phone: +386 1 477-3813

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-14  6:21 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2007-09-14  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

From: Steve Vickers
> That seems to require a new notion of torsor, and I can't see how it
> would work technically.

I don't know if it's a new notion, but the following construction of
what I'll call Aff(C), the affinitization (affination?) of C, should
work for any category C concrete over Ab  via a faithful functor
U: C --> Ab.  (Ab(Z,-): Ab --> Set automatically makes Ab concrete over
Set.)  The subcategories of Vct_k we've been talking about, in
particular Euc with origin but liberal morphisms, are all instances of
such a C.  If this is different from torsors I'd appreciate some insight
into the difference.

Definition:

Take the objects of Aff(C) to be those of C.  A morphism in Aff(C) from
c to d is a pair (h, m) where m: c --> d is a morphism of C and
h: U(c) --> U(d) is any group homomorphism such that

     h(x) - h(y)  =  U(m)(x - y)    for all x, y in U(c).

End definition.

The effect of this construction is to make the objects of Aff(c)
generalized metric spaces.  Reading between the lines of the above, an
implicit metric D(x, y) is given by the group structure in the form
x + D(x, y) = y, or equivalently D(x, y) = y - x; there is no need to
make D explicit with its own symbol.

All four Frechet axioms follow after modifying them to make the triangle
inequality an equality and D(x, y) = -D(y, x) (symmetry becomes
antisymmetry).  The morphism (h, m) maps the points of the metric space
via h subject to coherently (over the whole space) maintaining the
distance with m.

That should do it for Euc.  France Dacar did things in the other order:
torsor first, liberate from scale second.  I guess they commute ... but:

To be sure we've been talking about the same category Euc of what France
called Euclid's spaces, for the Euc I have in mind, Euc(E_m,E_n) has
(m+1)n - (m+1 choose 2) + 1 degrees of freedom when 1 <= m <= n.
Outside that range Euc(E_m,E_n) has n degrees of freedom, with rigidity
obliging E_m for m > n to collapse to E_0.  When m = n > 0 this reduces
to 1 + n + (n choose 2), corresponding to the one dilatation, n
translations, and rotation group of order (n choose 2) = n(n-1)/2 in
E_n.  Here's a table.

.    0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
0 |  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9
1 |  0   2   4   6   8  10  12  14  16  18
2 |  0   1   4   7  10  13  16  19  22  25
3 |  0   1   2   7  11  15  19  23  27  31
4 |  0   1   2   3  11  16  21  26  31  36
5 |  0   1   2   3   4  16  22  28  34  40
6 |  0   1   2   3   4   5  22  29  36  43
7 |  0   1   2   3   4   5   6  29  37  45
8 |  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7  37  46
9 |  0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  46

In contrast Aff_R(A_m,A_n) (affine spaces) has (m+1)n degrees of
freedom, while Vct_R(V_m,V_n) (vector spaces) has mn.

If Euler invented affine geometry as being somehow cleaner than
Euclidean geometry he was going in the right direction, with vector
spaces making things simpler yet via familiar mxn matrices.

Regarding Bob Knighten's question on approaches to synthetic Euclidean
geometry such as Hilbert's axiomatization, has anyone axiomatized more
than E_3 (Euclid Books 11-13)?  A satisfactory definition of Euclidean
space needs to account for all finite dimensions.

Vaughan

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-14  1:17 Eduardo Dubuc
From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2007-09-14  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

the sense (a joke) of my posting was lost because some how the title of it
was lost in the way

my posting had the following title:

"an stupid answer"

@ 2007-09-13 20:57 wlawvere
From: wlawvere @ 2007-09-13 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Dear Colleagues,

The artificial choice of unit of length
should indeed be avoided in fundamental
considerations since, among other things,
it trivializes the relation between length &
area, etc.

Over a given rig R, a Euclidean space E seems
to be
1) a torsor over an R-module V where V
is equipped with
2) an isomorphism
         V->Hom(V, L)
3) where L is an invertible R-module.

The fact  that L itself has no given rig structure
can be compared with the general idea of
metric (TAC Reprints 1) as valued in a monoidal
category (which has one covariant binary operation,
NOT two.)

The R-modules R, L, L@L, etc, may be
non-isomorphic, and there may even be
other invertibles corresponding to time, force, etc.
However, this Picard group will have all its elements
of order two (i.e.,each invertible module will have
its own R-valued pairing) if R is real in the sense
that a sum of several squares is invertible if one of them
is (as shown a few years ago by Steve Schanuel).
That result is for the category of abstract sets,
destroying my hope that the free abelian group on
three generators might occur for a suitable spatial
topos of affine algebraic geometry.

Of course, a unit of M, where M is an invertible
module, should be an isomorphism R->M, but
in general such isomorphisms exist only locally.

To see nontrivial invertible modules, look at
classical arithmetic or complex analysis, or in
the present geometric vein, look at rigs and R-modules
not in abstract sets, but in more cohesive or variable
toposes. Garrett Birkhoff recommended the topos of
G-sets for a certain group G of homogeneities,
obtaining (in a rather tautological way) the result
that the group of dimensional analysis occurs as a
Picard group.

Looking forward to your thoughts
Bill

@ 2007-09-13 14:25 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2007-09-13 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Vaughan Pratt wrote:
> Top-down:
>
>     A Euclidean space is
>     a torsor for a Euclidean inner product space E.
>
> A torsor, or principal homogeneous space, is (in this instance) a
> generalized metric space with vector distances in place of real
> distances so as to make the triangle inequality an equality, with d(x,y)
> = -d(y,x) and d(x,y) = 0 iff x = y.  Like metric spaces torsors have no
> origin.  E supplies the distances.  I put "Euclidean" as a modifier for
> "inner product space" to connote the liberalization of morphisms thereof
> to preserving inner product only up to a constant factor (as opposed to
> the presumed default of on the nose).  This liberalization accommodates
> scaling, and can be considered as forgetting the scale.  That and
> torsors for forgetting the origin makes this approach "top-down."

Dear Vaughan,

I too thought about torsors, but couldn't see round the problem that
they fix a unit length. (Suppose E is an inner product space and X a
torsor for it, then for any x, y in X there is a unique v in E taking x

@ 2007-09-12 23:29 Robert L Knighten
From: Robert L Knighten @ 2007-09-12 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Vaughan Pratt writes:

 > I've seen only two essentially different approaches so far, bottom-up
 > (adding structure) and top-down (forgetting structure).

Where does Euclid's approach fit in this scheme?  Starting from say Hilbert's
formulation of Euclidean geometry it is certainly possible to get to an inner
product space and all the rest, but it's certainly not direct and not easy.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten
RLK@knighten.org

* Re: Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-12 13:42 Eduardo Dubuc
From: Eduardo Dubuc @ 2007-09-12 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

@ 2007-09-12  9:35 France Dacar
From: France Dacar @ 2007-09-12  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Funny you should ask this just as I was trying to find a satisfying
answer to this question.  Now we are so accustomed that an Euclidean
space has some orthonormal system plonked down somewhere in it,
or that it has at least a fixed origin and the scalar product that
defines lengths and angles.  But, like Eve and Adam were created
without navels, Euclid's space was created without an origin; also
it was created completely flat (with curvature 0 in modern lingo),
so that there is no 'canonical' unit of length; and it was created
withot a priory orientation.  But you can measure one line segment

--

@ 2007-09-12  6:11 Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2007-09-12  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories list

Some helpful discussion with Dana Scott and Fred Linton got me to the
point where I felt I could say reasonably succinctly exactly what a
Euclidean space is (or ought to be).  The following summarizes my
present understanding, which is a lot clearer than 24 hours ago.

I've seen only two essentially different approaches so far, bottom-up
(adding structure) and top-down (forgetting structure).

Bottom-up:

     A Euclidean space is
     an affine space transformable only by similarities.

Since affine spaces are already understood to be transformable only by
affinities, the further restriction to similarities is equivalent to the
preservation of circles, or of right isosceles triangles.  Affine spaces
are in turn definable as an affine-closed subspace of a projective space
transformable only by affinities.

Constraining the morphisms in this way is morally equivalent to adding
structure (of some unspecified kind), whence "bottom-up".

Top-down:

     A Euclidean space is
     a torsor for a Euclidean inner product space E.

A torsor, or principal homogeneous space, is (in this instance) a
generalized metric space with vector distances in place of real
distances so as to make the triangle inequality an equality, with d(x,y)
= -d(y,x) and d(x,y) = 0 iff x = y.  Like metric spaces torsors have no
origin.  E supplies the distances.  I put "Euclidean" as a modifier for
"inner product space" to connote the liberalization of morphisms thereof
to preserving inner product only up to a constant factor (as opposed to
the presumed default of on the nose).  This liberalization accommodates
scaling, and can be considered as forgetting the scale.  That and
torsors for forgetting the origin makes this approach "top-down."

I've used both approaches in software for things like surveying and
computer graphics, using respectively top-down and bottom-up.  Top-down
is simple at a low level, is primarily vector oriented, involves little
or no multiplication, and works fine with single-precision floating
point or even fixed point arithmetic.  Bottom-up is simple at a high
level (if you don't try to follow the individual arithmetic steps when
debugging), uses an extra dimension to express projective geometry
(needed to represent the part at infinity dropped when passing to affine
space), is primarily matrix oriented, involves lots of multiplication,
and benefits from double precision.  All high-end video cards today use
bottom-up exclusively, understandable for rendering which needs
projective rather than Euclidean geometry, but its benefits for rigid
solid modeling over top-down are less clear to me, though for
articulated solid modeling bottom-up seems preferable.

What other approaches to defining Euclidean space have been proposed?

Vaughan

* Stupid question: what space was Euclid working in?
@ 2007-09-11  7:42 Vaughan Pratt